Ren Yamai (Komi Can't Communicate)
Ren Yamai (in Japanese: 山井れん, Yamai Ren) is the main antagonist of the romantic comedy anime/manga series Komi Can't Communicate. She is one of Shouko Komi's classmates from Class 1-1 and her stalker. In her main arc in Volume 2, her obsession with Shouko Komi led her to kidnap Hitohito Tadano and threaten to kill him.
Why She Deserves To Be On A Horror Manga and/or Anime
- To get things out of the bag, Yamai has the most insanely unhealthy obsession with Komi. And not just in a sexual but perverted way, but as much as she wants to hurt herself for Komi's sake (as if she says this like she wants to kill herself).
- Her introductory didn't start out pretty well and left bad tastes in everyone's mouths: From talking rudely to Tadano (by calling him a piece of trash or pure rotten scum) and Naijimi just for being nice to Komi, kidnapping and taking Tadano as hostage, having plenty of pictures with Komi, and threatening to Komi or kill herself to become her lover with a knife, in which that she herself is known as a psychopath. Though, in the anime she has chopsticks for weapons to kill Komi.
- Sometimes, she even treats Tadano like crap for no reason.
- And thanks to her, Komi nearly ended her friendship with Tadano to make sure that nobody can get hurt.
- Both of her actions and her character seem to be 100% out of place, as Yamai should have been in a horror manga and anime rather than on a slice of life manga and anime.
- Yamai had received undeserving forgiveness in the end, when she could've been arrested for committed attempted murder, stalking and kidnapping, but sadly, she got away scot-free.
- She can make a lot of faces that are creepy and unappealing to look at, especially in episode 2.
- Even with being one Komi's friends, Yamai still does plenty of perverted things, which will make you wonder why Komi chose to befriend her in the first place:
- Licking the same cup that Komi used, which you can get sick with the bad bacteria by the way.
- In episode 4, she also licked a single strand of Komi's hair, which is very disgusting of her yandere nature.
- Wearing Komi's used stockings over her face.
- Wanting to see Komi's underwear during a game of Twister.
- When the story doesn't progress, she sometimes get too much screen time in later chapters and doesn't seem to show signs of improving or growing any character development at all. It's also really frustrating because you can tell it's the writers keeping a status quo with her just because she's the way she is.
- She constantly butts into Komi, Tadano, and Naijimi's rides even when they haven't invited her, which becomes quite annoying and is also pure proof that she is a stalker than a so-called "friend".
- She is also a classist as she regards Tadano as an inferior human being just for not being as popular as her.
- She is a hypocrite. She criticizes Nakanaka for being into video games and manga and not being very feminine, when Yamai isn't very ladylike herself.
- She does have her fair share of funny moments.
- Yamai's character design is still cute.
- Most of the time, Rina Hidaka and Cristina Vee did a passable job voicing her.