Tiny Kong (2007-2008)
Tiny Kong is a recurring character in the Donkey Kong game series. She is the younger sister of Dixie Kong and first appeared in Donkey Kong 64. After DK64, she later appeared in Diddy Kong Racing DS as a redesigned teenager, meaning her name went from literal to ironic, and she’s sadly one of the examples of a video game character getting flanderized.
Why She Used To Be Not "Tiny"
Note: This only applies to her character depicted in Diddy King Racing DS. Not her original design since she's likable.
- Misleading name: Despite receiving a taller redesign, her name is still "Tiny Kong", so her design doesn't suit her name anymore. In fact, she should be called "Long Kong" instead.
- This design was never properly explained. Nobody even comments that she grew up, as if she's always been a teenager. Not only that, but Modern Tiny doesn't serve much of a purpose in her appearances.
- Modern Tiny no longer has the ability to shrink or twirl with her pigtails as she did in her original design.
- If Dixie Kong didn't grow up, why did Tiny have to? The LITTLE sister of Dixie somehow is now the OLDER sister?
- Fanservicing up Tiny. Who used to be a child character, was rather creepy by aging her up and making her look a bit more revealing.
- Unlike Small Tiny, who has a tough girl nature, Tall Tiny has no personality.
- Thanks to all of the reasons above, she was sadly pushed out of the DK and Mario franchise after Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast and Mario Super Sluggers, not helping the fact that the former was a really bad game.
- Some people think modern Tiny looks nice.
- Mario Super Sluggers was at least a good game to have her last appearance in.
- Tiny looked much better in her original child form. Small Tiny also briefly returns as a Spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- If her redesign was properly explained, and she had more appearances and personality, she could've been a better character.
- Despite WSS#2, Her redesign isn't completely random. Nintendo possibly wanted marketing appeal for their female Kongs, as Candy Kong was too inappropriately designed, Wrinkly Kong is now deceased, and Dixie Kong is too monkey-like. On top of that, Tiny was probably too similar to Dixie, so her redesign sort-of makes sense.
- They also needed someone to replace Banjo in the Diddy Kong Racing remake after rare joined Microsoft, and while Rare did help work on that game, they couldn't use Banjo or Conker due to licensing issues, so they redesigned Tiny to take his place.