"Don't let your kids watch it!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Animal cruelty.
The Ants are a family of ants from Happy Tree Friends who serve as recurring characters throughout the series in season 1. They consist of a mother ant wearing a purple afro, a baby ant with a tiny strand of hair, a son wearing a cap, and a daughter wearing an orange wig with a pink bow. They live on an anthill with a door at the top. Sniffles are their target and enemy, as he tries to eat them in every episode they appear; afterward, the Ants get revenge by torturing and killing him in the most sadistic and gruesome ways possible.
Why They Intentionally Should Get Eaten by Sniffles
- They are incredibly sadistic and cruel towards Sniffles. They make Jerry Mouse's Gene Deitch incarnation, Herman from Herman and Katnip, Royal Tweetums, Joey, Marky and Dee Dee in season 5 and Road Runner's Larriva Eleven incarnation look innocent by comparison.
- Simular to Herman from Herman and Katnip, and Freddy the Fly from The Wacky World of Tex Avery, the injuries and pain they inflict on Sniffles come of as hurtful, sadistic, gruesome, and mean-spirited rather than funny and entertaining.
- Unlike other famous cartoon rivalries like Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, Sylvester and Tweety, The Ant and the Aardvark, and of course, Tom and Jerry (despite both of them being the protagonists while not being a predator/prey relationship/frenemies), where the protagonists' conflict harm on their rivals in more cartoony and harmless ways that don’t kill them, they conflict harm on Sniffles in very sadistic and torturous ways that kill him; one of the most notorious examples is in "Tongue in Cheek".
- Their spite for Sniffles happens to be in the same way as the rivalry between Itchy and Scratchy from The Simpsons, with Itchy antagonizing Scratchy for no reason and Scratchy always (except once) dying in brutal ways.
- They were made just so we can root against them because they treat Sniffles as the villain. After all, he attempts to eat them, and the Ants have to kill Sniffles so they can protect themselves, which means we have to view the Ants as heroes.
- Their voices are incredibly annoying and terrible to listen to, especially Kenn Navarro and Warren Graff, which is considered wasted talent.
- At the beginning of Suck It Up, one of them steals Sniffles' cookies and offers him a cookie while he's sick just to yank it away and blow a raspberry at him.
- They were at their absolute worst in Tongue in Cheek, in which they provided an infamous scene of them using Sniffles' corpse as a house. Those are some nice ants, right?
- Unlike the rest of the Happy Tree Friends cast, they never have any deaths and usually get off scot-free, making them Karma Houdinis (and no, Blast from the Past doesn't count).
- They refuse to accept the fact anteaters are supposed to eat ants, which proves they have no care for predators.
- Their character designs are beyond confusing, as they resemble aliens or purple stick figures instead of ants, especially since unlike ants in real life, none of them have any visible antennae, which makes their designs even worse.
- They are the Happy Tree Friends ant versions of Herman and his family since they are both sadistic jerks who like to kill their rivals in many gruesome, brutal, and unfunny ways.
- Speaking of their designs, they are very out-of-place, as they look nothing like characters from Happy Tree Friends and instead look like fully colored, rejected, and badly drawn versions of aliens from Dick Figures, Greeny Phantom, or 12. oz Mouse.
- Their lines "Aah, aah!", can be annoying and ear-grating.
- To be fair, they were supposed to be unlikable in the first place.
- They have stopped making appearances after "Tongue in Cheek" due to their negative reception.
- They have a good reason to hate Sniffles whenever he starts a conflict against them, unlike the aforementioned Itchy.
- This could be justified in "Blast from the Past" since prehistoric Sniffles ate an ant who used to be friends with him, meaning that Sniffles started the rivalry with the ants.
- As crazy as it sounds, the only time where they were ever likable in the show, is in "A Hard Act to Swallow". They weren't trying to kill Sniffles in the process, they were only trying to rescue the baby ant from his stomach, although one of the ants did inadvertently kill Sniffles as a way of getting out by tying his heart to trapping his blood inside his heart so his chest can explode and the ants can escape, which results in his death.