SpongeBob SquarePants (Character) (Seasons 6-8)
SpongeBob SquarePants is the main character from the American children's animated television series of the same name. He is an optimistic yellow sea sponge who works as a fry cook and goes to a boat-driving school.
Unfortunately, he suffered from a bad case of flanderization and some character derailment in Seasons 6 and 7.
- He became outright annoying, troublesome, and obnoxious.
- He is either too happy or too emotional in comparison to his other traits within his personality in the first three seasons, though it varies whether he was in character or not in seasons 4-6 and 8.
- He tends to cry over things that aren't a big deal at all whatsoever, with the episode A Day Without Tears being the worst offender of such. Heck, not even Pearl, Mr. Krabs' daughter, is that much of a crybaby in this season in comparison to the first three seasons!
- He also has the tendency to do terrible things and never gets any consequence for them, such as:
- Acting like a complete moron who thinks Sandy is in danger by kidnapping the townspeople by trapping them in bubbles and bringing them to his house (it makes sense in context) (Rodeo Daze)
- Apparently lacking empathy
- Horribly mistreated Gary by gratingly scolding and blaming him for things he clearly didn't do and telling him "what do you have to say for yourself?" instead of thanking him when he saves his life (in the same episode, by the way; and not to mention, he also stole a pet from a store, and also ignored the pet saleswoman's warnings about Puffy Fluffy's own species getting along with other animals). (A Pal for Gary)
- Flooded Bikini Bottom with his crybaby tears (A Day Without Tears)
- Betrayed Plankton (One Coarse Meal)
- Inviting Patrick Star, Sandy Cheeks, Mr. Krabs, Pearl Krabs, Plankton, Larry the Lobster, and Bikini Bottomites to go as far as tarnishing Squidward's TV show, idiotically acting like it was a playground, and not to mention; they were the ones responsible for Squidward being kicked out of his house and his own TV show shut down (Tentacle Vision)
- He can be mean-spirited at times, though not as bad as Patrick, which is a character downgrade that was unexpected, especially for SpongeBob.
- His gags have gone from funny and entertaining to irritating and unintelligent.
- His infamous and hypocritical quote from "One Coarse Meal": ("I'm sorry Plankton, but that flies in the face of my good nature.")
- He is extremely immature and never acts his age. Before flanderization, it was admittedly rare for him to act like an adult, but he still had some levels of maturity. However, during these seasons, he never does.
- He is supposed to be an adult, but he has the mentality of a 4-year old.
- His voice is annoyingly high pitched to the point where he sounded like he is on helium, possibly due to Tom Kenny's aging.
- He has also turned into a punching bag for the writers in some episodes, most notably (Stuck in the Wringer).
- He, along with Patrick, are more destructive in their antics around Bikini Bottom than ever before.
- He occasionally has his original personality.
- He still cares about his friends, despite everything he has done.
- He spawned some post-movie memes like "Who put you on the planet?"
- His design still looks cute.
- He, along with Patrick, has fully gotten his original personality back in Season 9.
- His voice has also returned to its original pitch since Season 8.