Sonic the Hedgehog is the titular main protagonist from the video game franchise of the same name. He is the brother of Sonia and Manic, the friend of Knuckles, and one of the main protagonists of Sonic Underground. He was voiced by Jaleel White in the English dub, and Olivier Korol in the French dub.
"That's No Good!" Qualities
NOTE: This is only focusing on the Sonic Underground TV version of Sonic, since his video game other TV versions, and movie versions of him are likable.
- This version of Sonic has a poor grasp of his own source material, as his backstory (which in both the Archie comics and it's tv adaptation had him with his parents and uncle, while later origins revealed that he was adopted) was changed in which he had a brother and sister.
- His design is very outdated and/or rehashed and this is especially laughable since he looks more like a fan-made character that was made using DeviantArt. Not to mention, he can be poorly animated at times.
- He tries way too hard to be cool, but he always comes off as a major dork. Sounds familiar?
- His singing voice (which is provided by Samuel Vincent) is just horrible.
- If you combined the corniest and cheesiest parts about Sonic's traits from both AOSTH and the Sonic SatAM, you basically have this Sonic in a nutshell.
- As with most western adaptations of Sonic, he is usually seen scarfing down on so many chili dogs, but this time he does it in a rather obnoxiously gluttonous way.
- Despite his cocky demeanor, he can sometimes have low expectations for almost everything.
- Some of his moments are unfunny.
- His voice is at its worst here, as he sounds pretty annoying in this show, at least his voice in the previous 2 shows though a bit annoying were pretty good.
- In a couple of episodes, he would sometimes act like a jerk to his friends and siblings from time to time. To make matters even worse, he also tends to come off as a Scrappy since there are some moments where he acts immature, bossy, condescending, stubborn, arrogant, narcissistic, hotheaded and disrespectful as well as putting his siblings in danger.
- Not to mention, he's also shown to be greedy and strict too.
"Way Past Cool!" Qualities
- While he's the least focused and (usually) the least serious of the three, he's also the one who wreaks the most havoc with Eggman's plans.
- Despite being a slightly caustic wisecracker, he still cares about Mobius, his siblings and is determined to be the ruin of Eggman's existence.
- His character design, while a rehash, is at least identical to his AOSTH and SATAM design.
- His Latin American dub voice sounds much better.
- At least Jaleel White (English) and Olivier Korol (French) reprise their role as Sonic, as was usual with DiC.
- There are some scenes in the English dub where he is decently voiced.
- Also, his singing voice can be passable in the songs "Someday", "I Found My Home", "Teach the Children, Light the Way" and "Justice Calling".
- He, as Sonic, admittedly has some funny moments here and there.
- "I'm waiting!"
- He does get told off by Sonia in some moments where he's arrogant, narcissistic, hotheaded, bossy and disrespectful, making him learn his lesson afterwards. So therefore, at least he's not a karma houdini.
- He was a much better character in the games and his next TV appearance, Sonic X, portrayed him a whole lot better since he massively redeemed himself and returned back to his original self.
- He is nowhere near as infamous as Bartleby MontClair.
- There are some moments where Sonic the Hedgehog has his original personality.
- This version of Sonic was the first alternate Sonic featured in the Archie Comics who was taken from an existing branch of the Sonic franchise rather than created new; he would later be followed by the version of Sonic from the universe of Sonic X.
- This is the only animated series produced by DIC where Knuckles appears.
- Sonic's story -and that of the Sonic Underground series- was intended to be resolved in a single-issue story that was going to be included in Sonic Universe #50, but this was later abandoned.
- This version of Sonic would be the last to have Jaleel White voicing him.
- Sonic's quote "I'm waiting!" was a common phrase used by his counterparts in AOSTH and the Sonic Satam animated series.