Sheriff Woody (Black Friday Reel)
Sheriff Woodrow "Woody" Pride is the main protagonist in the Toy Story franchise.
While Sheriff Woody as seen in the Toy Story franchise in general is a likable and endearing protagonist, however the same cannot be said for his original "prototype" incarnation as seen during development of the first Toy Story film, as originally, he was going to be a mean-spirited character because Jeffrey Katzenberg, the former Studio Chairman of Disney, wanted Toy Story to be 'edgier'. This early version of Woody was very negatively received by everyone involved in the production of the film (including John Lasseter) and consequently nearly shut down production on the original Toy Story and even Pixar's legacy.
Why He Was An Absolute Disgrace
This only accounts for the Black Friday/"Prototype" Woody, not the final version as the latter is more likable.
- FIRST AND FOREMOST, he is a victory for executive meddling on the part of Jeffrey Katzenberg (the former Studio Chairman of Disney) during development of the first Toy Story film. In fact, this is executive meddling at it's absolute worst, due to the various reasons as listed below.
- Instead of being the honest, loyal, and selfless cowboy we all know and love, Woody was originally a cynical, spiteful, and vile bully. In fact, this early version of Woody is so despicable that he might as well be the main antagonist of the original Toy Story.
- Woody may have been a bit of a jerk in the official Toy Story movie mainly due to his jealously towards Buzz Lightyear, but not to this extent.
- He treated the other toys like dirt, wouldn't apologize, and showed absolutely NO remorse for his actions.
- In the Black Friday Reel, Woody threw Buzz out the window on purpose!
- In the 1992 animated test video, while nowhere near as vile as his Black Friday counterpart, he came off as the malicious, passive-aggressive, and manipulative jerk who treats Buzz's earnest heroism like a joke and comes off as both selfish and lazy.
- He snapped at Slinky just for disagreeing with him and calls him a "spring wiener".
- His infamous "Hey, it's a toy eat toy world" line.
- Even his original creator John Lasseter was unhappy and utterly ashamed with how needlessly mean Woody turned out to be in this Black Friday version.
- When the film changed direction, he became the sweet cowboy we know him as, who, while still coming off as quite of a jerk at first, improves over the course of the film.
- He actually got his comeuppance where Mr. Potato Head, Bo Peep, Rex, Hamm, and Slinky threw him not only off the bed, but (and we quote) "out the window, like he did to Buzz!"
- At least his voice actor, Tom Hanks, still did a great job voicing him.