Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Boom) is a major antagonist in the Sonic Boom spin-off franchise, serving as a supporting antagonist in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, an anti-hero in Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal and a recurring antagonist in the television series. He is the rival of Sonic the Hedgehog, who seeks to prove his superiority over him in every way. He is also notably darker and edgier than his mainstream counterpart, and has shown to be more of a villain than an anti-hero.
Why He's Not The Coolest
NOTE: This only applies to the Sonic Boom incarnation of Shadow, since his video game counterpart is likable and sympathetic.
- Unlike the other characters in the show, Shadow's change of personality isn't made in a way that makes him lovably funny. Instead of being the same likable Tragic hero that has a sympathizing backstory and a huge goal of protecting the Earth in the main Sonic series, he's portrayed as a bland, evil, generic, and shallow bully with little to no backstory or reason behind his cruel behavior, and he is also needlessly portrayed as a one-dimensional, comedically serious villain.
- He hardly has a single bit of motivation to anything he does or will do, making him completely depthless.
- He became even edgier. While the Shadow from the main series was edgy, it wasn't ever this exaggerated.
- He practically has no character development.
- He antagonizes Sonic and his friends for really no good given reason, making him look like nothing but a nuisance.
- His personality and behavior is toned down to light-hearted just to appeal to kids who will not deal with the dark subject matter of the character. Which is an insult to the dark behavior of the original character.
- His voice is also bland and generic which wasted the talents of Kirk Thornton. Shadow sounds more like Vegeta, except Vegeta is actually a lot better.
- The stuff he usually does has often little to no importance to the main plot. Which makes him look like an unnecessary character.
- In Eggman: The Video Game Part 2: The End of the World, he tried to destroy the planet all because Dr. Eggman tricked him multiple times, which is just more evidence that all the stuff he plans to do and his reasons for his plans are forced and completely poorly written.
- He is incredibly shallow and has a huge lack of common sense. Like in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric where he states Sonic is weak because of his reliance on his friends. This is strange, seeing as the Shadow from the main series has people that he would consider his friends.
- Shadow was much better prior to Sonic Boom and while he didn't necessarily redeem himself, his edgelordy behavior was notably toned down after the Sonic Boom series was coming to a end..
- His redesign is pretty cool for the most part.
- Considering he always loses to Team Sonic (getting his comeuppance, if you will), it can be argued he's not a Karma Houdini in the slightest.
- Not only that, but he does get punched in the gut by Metal Sonic, briefly.
- "Your shoddy craftsmanship brings shame on all hedgehog kind." "And for that, you shall perish."
- Cartoon characters
- Video game characters
- CGI characters
- Sonic the Hedgehog characters
- Bad characters from good media
- Cartoon Network characters
- One-dimensional characters
- Shady characters
- Characters with no personality
- Snobbish characters
- Egotistic characters
- Grumpy characters
- Cranky characters
- American characters
- Unlikable characters
- Sonic Boom characters
- Pointless characters
- Bad versions of good characters
- "They're aimed at kids"
- Overpowered characters
- French characters