Seryu Ubiquitous is a major antagonist in the anime/manga Akame Ga Kill!. She was a member of the military team known as the Jaegers and a former member of the Imperial Guard. Seryu is a woman with a strong, but warped, sense of justice that defined her highly delusional and psychotic obsession. She is Mine's arch-nemesis.
Why She Does Not Know the Meaning of "Justice"
- Seryu is known for having a significant portion of the fandom hating her largely because of her hypocritical attitude alongside her over-the-top mental issues and for killing off fan-favorite Sheele.
- Although Seryu initially appeared as a kind and compassionate person, she is a ruthless, psychotic, sadistic, and unstable person who seems to enjoy killing to a high extent those of whom she considers to be evil, almost as if it were a hobby.
- She has a strong fixation upon the word "justice", as every time she talks about justice, she gives a speech about it and how she will wipe out evildoers.
- She has a twisted sense of right and wrong, bordering on a completely black-and-white view of the world: seeing the authority of the immensely corrupt Empire as absolutely right, and its enemies as pure evil. She was fully committed to her duties and relished fighting for the imperials.
- Her twisted view of justice caused a level of distrust towards her by her teammates, as well as the entire imperial forces on occasion, as she brutally murdered a group of captured prisoners before her team could interrogate them.
- Her expressions can be creepy and quite disturbing to watch, as it makes her look like a degenerate monster.
- She killed Sheele and then began laughing about it like a madman even though she just lost her two arms. She would later mock her death to Mine in their second battle.
- She is a massively hypocrite, as she kept claiming that her actions were for “justice”, yet it is obvious she was killing people for the pettiest of reasons and she does not seem to grasp that her actions are more villainous than heroic, nor she does know the meaning of that word.
- She tends to play dirty, as she uses a hidden gun in her mouth to paralyze Sheele so Koro can kill her. She also tried to kill Tatsumi and Mine from afar using her long-range weapons with no warning, basically performing a sneak attack to kill them, which would have worked had Mine not caught the scent of gunpowder.
- Even after she loses, she still acts arrogant and tries to kill Mine by detonating a bomb inside her head before she dies. It fails big time thanks to Tatsumi saving her.
- Although it does have elements of Alas, Poor Villain, Seryu shows no remorse for her actions before she is about to die and it comes off as cheap and emotionally manipulative.
- Kira Vincent-Davis sounds very awful and cringe-worthy, especially when she's yelling in most of her dialogues.
- Wasted Potential: Seryu meeting Wild Hunt could have been an interesting plot point, since not only does Wild Hunt openly antagonize the Jaegers, but they completely conflict with Seryu's views of Justice. This could have led to some interesting character development and it might have been the thing that made Seryu realize the Empire is not what it seems. Instead, Seryu is killed just before the Wild Hunt arc and most of the time in the Wild Hunt arc is mostly spent developing Wave, Run, and Kurome.
- Despite being a hated character, she has her share of fans as well as some like her for being a well-written character with good motives.
- Her character design is admittingly adorable.
- Her fight scenes with Mine and Sheele were cool and amazing.
- She seems like a good person and not a complete monster like when she helps Tatsumi with directions, when she mourns Dr. Stylish's death when Esdeath comforts her, also when she plays with the children in the capital. She became like this because she was corrupted by Ogre and Dr. Stylish's influence, something Mine points out to her.
- She possesses the "Judgement of the Ten Heavenly Kings", ten powerful weapons which function as modifications to her body. She often swaps these weapons around in combat using Koro's main body and they're incredibly powerful despite not being Teigu.
- Her defeat to Mine is incredibly satisfying to witness after what Seryu did to Sheele.
- Kana Hanazawa did a good job voicing her.
- She was the first villainess of the opposite faction trying to do righteous deeds, not knowing that her actions were the result of her sheer insanity.
- Also despite her blaming Night Raid, her motives are similar (if not the same) to theirs.
- Her teigu's nickname, "Koro" could refer to the Japanese word "Koroshiya," which means "professional killer".
- Ubiquitous means to exist or to be everywhere, especially at the same time.
- Her measurements were 82-54-84.
- In the anime adaption, her eye color is amber, however, on the cover of Volume 8 of the manga, illustrated by Tetsuya Tashiro, her eye color is red.