Rouge the Bat (ルージュ・ザ・バット Rūju za Batto?) is a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. She is an anthropomorphic bat and jewel thief that has worked as a part-time government spy for the President of the United Federation and in close association with the Guardian Units of Nations. A world-famous treasure hunter, Rouge has a weakness for jewels, like the Master Emerald and Chaos Emeralds, which she always obsesses about. As a spy, Rouge is trained in combat, stealth and infiltration, and possesses both super-level kicking power and flight.
Despite all this, she would later get flanderized in both Sonic X, and the Pre-Super Genesis Wave comics.
Why She Couldn't Steal the Master Emerald (Bad Qualities)
Note: This page will only focus on Rouge as she appears in Sonic X and Pre-Super Genesis Wave, not her video game counterpart since she's more likable.
- First of all, she is very out-of-character in this show similar to Amy Rose. She was flanderized as she went from being Knuckles' rival who always tries to steal the Master Emerald to an occasionally selfish woman who is obsessed with stealing things like the Chaos Emeralds.
- She blackmailed Bokkun's locket with a picture of his crush, Cream the Rabbit.
- She even made him work for her.
- She constantly calls Topaz an old lady, which is rude and disrespectful.
- When Knuckles the Echidna saved her from falling, she didn't even thank him. By the way, she's a bat, so she could’ve just flew on her own, ironically.
- She said "Maria" in front of Shadow just so she could get away from Shadow and Chris to look for one of the Chaos Emeralds, which is very insensitive and disrespectful, considering the fact that Maria died and that caused Shadow to get triggered due to his PTSD.
- It can get super annoying having to listen to a saxophone every single damn time she appears on-screen.
- She doesn't show any concern when Shadow tries to kill Cosmo.
- There are sometimes when she doesn't get any comeuppance for what she does and can be a Karma Houdini at times.
- Even though Kathleen Delaney does a great job with her voice, her English voice can come off as very off-putting, especially since she sounds more like a woman in her 40's or Angelina Jolie rather than a young adult. This somehow surprisingly wasted Kathleen Delaney's talent.
Pre-Super Genesis Wave
- While her video game counterpart has shown to be selfish and greedy for jewels, she still had her limits as she would never screw over anything remotely serious in over to get what she wants. This version, however, is willing to screw over anything to get what she wants, making her a mean girl.
- While her video game counterpart thinks of herself often, she still thinks about others, too. This version just mostly only cares about herself, and rarely ever cares about others.
- Whenever she sides with the good guys, she ruthlessly stabs them in the back for her own personal gain.
- She has done many selfish and unlikable things to people that were very mean-spirited and anger inducing, like how she threatened to steal Knuckles from Julie-Su.
- She once tried to steal one of the Seven Sol Emeralds from its guardian Blaze the Cat, as Blaze's world wouldn't be able to survive without all seven of the emeralds. But Rouge didn't care, and acted like it wasn't her problem.
- She almost got Blaze, Amy, Cream, and Cheese blown to pieces by telling Omega to open fire on them.
- She is more tolerable in the original Japanese version.
- Like many characters in Sonic X, she has a nice character design.
- Every scene where she's with Knuckles makes Knuxouge shippers go crazy.
- At least she doesn't act like a crazy fangirl whenever she sees Knuckles, like Amy whenever she sees her crush, Sonic.
- Her theme song, Mysterious & Sexy Thief Rouge.
- There are sometimes when she gets karma for her actions.
- Though it wastes her talent, Rumi Ochiai does a great job voicing her.
- She does care about the others.
- After the Super Genesis Wave occurred, Rouge along with the other characters became more aligned with their video game counterparts.
- At least she wouldn't go as far as to purposely murder people to get what she wants.
- Her Japanese voice actress is Rumi Ochiai, and her English voice actress is Kathleen Delaney.
- Her GUN outfit still shows her cleavage, despite the fact that it can cover her up.
- From episode 11-onwards, a saxophone plays whenever Rouge is around.