"Don't let your kids watch it!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Excessive blood and graphic violence.
Roman Bridger is the main antagonist of the Scream franchise, serving as one of the two unseen overarching antagonists of Scream, the main antagonist of Scream 3, and the posthumous overarching antagonist of Scream 4.
He was portrayed by Scott Foley. While disguising his voice, he is voiced by Roger L. Jackson. In-costume scenes as Ghostface were portrayed by Brian Avery.
Why He's Intentionally a Terrible Brother to Sidney
- He gave Billy Loomis the idea to kill Maureen Prescott (Roman's own biological mother).
- He likely didn't sympathize with Billy over the breakup his parents had due to the affair Hank Loomis had with Maureen. It is very likely that he was just using Billy as a pawn to get Maureen killed as his own revenge for her abandoning Roman without dirtying his own hands.
- He was the one who gave Billy the idea to have Stu as an accomplice so Billy could blame everything on him if they got caught, meaning he's responsible for Stu becoming a killer as well and ruining his life and reputation and leaving his parents to wonder where they went wrong.
- He gave Billy and Stu the idea to frame the innocent Cotton Weary (who had done nothing to Billy, Stu, or Roman), which nearly got him executed.
- His actions led to Billy and Stu going on a rampage a year later and murdering more people, who had nothing to do with Billy, Stu, or Roman's tribulations. This makes him responsible for all the people killed by Billy and Stu. Had Billy and Stu succeeded, they planned to go on another killing spree in the future, which Roman would have also been indirectly responsible for.
- Because of Sidney rightfully killing Billy and Stu in self defense and to avenge her mother and friends, Billy's equally nutcase mother Nancy Loomis would later go on a killing spree as well, recruiting murderous asshole Mickey Altieri to help her murder Sidney and several people who had nothing to do with Billy's death anyway, all as revenge on Sidney for rightfully stopping her nutcase son and his nutcase friend.
- He shows absolutely no remorse for any of the death or chaos his actions have caused, nor does he offer any apologies.
- He has the gall to be jealous of Sidney for the fame she has gained from surviving her attacks and decides to kill her after framing her for a killing spree, ruining her reputation to benefit his own.
- He had Cotton Weary's girlfriend betray him by using his voice manipulator to make her think he was the one trying to kill her, and then he successfully murdered both of them.
- He killed the entire ''Stab 3'' crew just to frame Sidney Prescott.
- He killed his ex-lover Jennifer.
- He killed his birth father John Milton.
- After he was defeated, he told Sidney that her mother was dead and there was nothing she could do about it.
- After Sidney, Dewey and Galey turned their backs, Roman attempted to kill them even when at first it looked like he was trying to connect with Sidney.
- While he is a charismatic mastermind, Roman is still smug, hypocritical, petty and overall sadistic. As Sidney points out, everyone else hates Roman in-universe because he chose to kill all his victims by himself without anyone else's influence, and he was shown to be rude and impolite as well.
- Despite his sympathetic past, Sidney calls him out on how he chooses to kill people and there’s no excuse for his actions.
- His actions would lead to more killers in the future, resulting in the events of Scream 4, Scream 2022, and Scream 6.
Intentional Redeeming Qualities
- He is a charismatic mastermind.
- At least he wasn't a karma houdini.
- His death scene was a satisfying one.
- Scott Foley did a great job portraying him.