Rito Yūki (To Love-ru)
"Don't let your kids watch this!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Serious topics will be discussed here
Rito Yūki is the main male protagonist of the To Love-Ru series, and its sequel, To Love-Ru Darkness. He is a normal 16-year-old student of Sainan High, who has a big crush on Sairenji Haruna, to whom he attempted numerous times to confess to but has met failure each time. It was only by accident that he met Lala Satalin Deviluke, an alien princess he accidentally became engaged to. Rito used to be on the soccer team in junior high and was fairly good, but quit because he was constantly helping his father with his manga duties, and did not want to leave his little sister, Yūki Mikan alone in the house. Mikan comments he is very good at the most "useless little things", like crane and festival games (e.g. hoops, catching fish, squirt guns). Along with the many useless little things Rito is good at, he is also an accomplished florist, gardener, and horticulturist.
- The series' main gags is Rito is a clumsy teenager who keeps grabbing girls' private parts by accident. This may not be a problem at first, but after seeing him trip every time he sees a girl more than a few times, it really starts to get stale.
- His fumbling personality can be somewhat realistic, but it tries too hard to make him relatable, and his clumsiness ends up being an over-the-top gimmick instead of a trait.
- His personality flaws could've worked if there was some sort of clever and unexpected twist to it, maybe have it somewhere different from other harem protagonists at the time, but instead, Rito still felt like another cliched protagonist that has been done several times before. Let alone his character is as dry as an unseasoned turkey.
- Rito being a butt-monkey comes across as sad and pathetic than humorous.
- He is an idiot who makes more mistakes compared to Lala.
- He only existed to show what it's like for Lala, who is half human and half alien mixed with a devil, to have a real boyfriend.
- His existence is only to cash in on the harem genre.
- He can be sometimes miscast; while Akeno Watanabe might be decent for the role, Rito's voice can be a bit childish. And as for Ry McKeand, his voice can be too deep in some places.
- He can sometimes be either useless or incompetent.
- He is more a generic "cowardly" person.
- The way Rito has saved Yami was really stupid and confusing, since all he did was to be stripped naked, and went after fondling Yami's breasts until she regained consciousness.
- Aside from being clumsy, he hasn't really gotten much character growth, not even at least fixing his clumsy nature by being aware of his surroundings before taking movement.
- He is useless at times whenever Lala, her sisters, Yami, and Mea were facing threats.
- He is completely treated as a doormat, sometimes.
- Rito does mean well when interacting with other characters, his fiancē Lala, his "daughter" Celine, his younger sister Mikan, and especially with Nemesis, the series' main antagonist.
- He is not even a pervert at all and never intended to be.
- His voice acting is good only for his Japanese voice actress (see WHIACI# 5).
- His character design is decent, along with his female form as Riko Yusaki.
- To be fair, it's not Rito's fault that he can't control his clumsy nature.
- Rito punching Ren in sheer annoyance was actually very funny.
- He shares the same Japanese voice actress as Mt. Lady and young Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia.