Ren Yamai (in Japanese: 山井れん, Yamai Ren) is the main antagonist of the romantic comedy anime/manga series Komi Can't Communicate. She is one of Shouko Komi's classmates from Class 1-1 and her stalker. In her main arc in Volume 2, her obsession with Shouko Komi led her to kidnap Hitohito Tadano and threaten to kill him.
Why She Deserves to Be on a Horror Manga and/or Anime
- To get things out of the bag, Yamai has the most insanely unhealthy obsession with Komi. And not just in a sexual but perverted way, but as much as she wants to hurt herself for Komi's sake (as if she says this like she wants to kill herself).
- Her introduction didn't start out pretty well and left horrible tastes in everyone's mouths: From talking rudely to Tadano (by calling him a "piece of trash" or "pure rotten scum") and Naijimi just for being nice to Komi, kidnapping and taking Tadano as a hostage, having plenty of pictures with Komi in her room, and threatening to Komi or kill herself to become her lover with a knife, in which that she is known as a pure psychopath, of all characters. Though, in the anime, she has chopsticks as weapons to kill Komi.
- Sometimes, she even treats Tadano like crap for no reason.
- And thanks to her, Komi nearly ended her friendship with Tadano to make sure that nobody can get hurt.
- Both of her actions and her character seem to be 100% out of place, as Yamai should have been in a horror manga and anime rather than in a slice-of-life manga and anime.
- Yamai had received undeserving forgiveness at the end, when she could've been arrested for committing attempted murder, stalking, and kidnapping, but sadly, she got away scot-free.
- She can make a lot of faces that are creepy and unappealing to look at, especially in episode 2.
- Even though her being part of Komi's list of 100 friends, Yamai still does to plenty of perverted things and has extreme lengths to become her love interest, which will make you wonder why Komi chose to befriend her in the first place:
- Licking the same cup that Komi used, which you can get sick with the bad bacteria by the way.
- In episode 4, she also licked a single strand of Komi's hair, which is very disgusting of her yandere nature.
- Offering Komi a hot dog in a lewd way, which almost became NSFW (thankfully, Najimi thwarted her attempts to do so)
- Wearing Komi's used stockings over her face, as seen in episode 23.
- Wanting to see Komi's underwear during a game of Twister.
- When the story doesn't progress, she sometimes gets too much screen time in later chapters and doesn't seem to show signs of improving or growing any character development at all. It's also really frustrating because you can tell it's the writers keeping a status quo with her just because she's the way she is.
- She constantly butts into Komi, Tadano, and Naijimi's rides even when they haven't invited her, which becomes quite annoying and is also pure proof that she is a stalker than a so-called "friend".
- She is also a classist as she regards Tadano as an inferior human being just for not being as popular as her.
- She is a hypocrite, as she criticizes Nakanaka for being into video games and manga and not being very feminine when Yamai isn't very ladylike herself.
- She does have her fair share of funny moments.
- There are times that Yamai gets what she deserves hilariously for being a loathsome yandere, such as Najimi inviting her to visit the New Year's shrine with Komi while the former is on vacation in Hawaii, much to her desperation.
- Setting her creepy, yandere-like facial expressions aside, Yamai's character design is still cute.
- Most of the time, Rina Hidaka and Cristina Vee did a passable job voicing her.