Raynare is the main antagonist of Volume 1 in the ecchi light novel series High School DxD and the first season in its anime adaptation. She is a Fallen Angel, as well as the ex-girlfriend and archenemy of Issei Hyoudou after she killed him and later Asia Argento (only for them to be resurrected as devils by Rias Gremory, who later kills Raynare herself).
She is voiced by Hitomi Nabatame in the Japanese version and in the English version, she is voiced by Felecia Angelle.
Why She was a terrible Girlfriend to Issei
- She is well known being hated for infamously killing Issei, when she disguised herself as a human named Yuuma Amano and becoming Issei's first girlfriend. However, at the climax of their first date, she kills him, revealing herself as a Fallen Angel.
- She kidnaps Asia and steals her sacred gear, even murdering her in the process.
- She constantly raves about earning Azazel's approval and becoming his second-in-command, but ultimately, Raynare has next-to-no authority and is just a low-level scout with delusions of grandeur. In fact, if they hadn't let Issei reclaim his pride, any other member of Rias' peerage could have ripped her to pieces.
- She claims she's stealing Asia's Sacred Gear to help Azazel and Shemhaza, but it's clear she just wants it for her own ego and so she can get back at her higher ranking peers.
- She thinks she's vastly superior to everyone she comes across, and sees her underlings as nothing but mere tools, at best. She was only horrified about learning of the deaths of Dohnaseek, Mittelt, and Kalawarner because it meant she had no escape options, and nobody would come to her aid when facing down the enraged ORC.
- She underestimates Issei's Sacred Gear powers and gets the crap beaten out of her in response. She thought it was a "twice critical", making him temporarily twice as powerful. She didn't realize that it actually made him twice as powerful every ten seconds, so all her Evil Gloating did was make it easier for Issei to beat her.
- She had also demonstrated herself to be a coward at the most desperate moments, as she pathetically begged the man she betrayed to save her life, only to be coldly obliterated by Rias.
- Idiot Move: She killed Asia and steals her Sacred Gear to become invincible. Her schemes failed when Issei follows her to the abandoned church, but instead of fleeing immediately with her prize, she sticks around to taunt him, which ultimately resulted in her getting her ass kicked by Issei and ultimately lead to her death by Rias' hands.
- Although she deserved it, she was surprising killed off early in the series instead of half way or at the end. Some even think that she should have survived, either to become a recurring villain or even make for an interesting addition to Issei's harem as a Token Evil Teammate of some sort.
- Despite dying early in the series, her actions have deeply affected Issei, causing him to be afraid of expressing his feelings towards Rias or the other girls due to reminding him of her.
- She get's what coming to her with Issei beating her with one punch and getting obliterated by Rias for toying with Issei's feelings and killing Asia.
- She was actually a cool and interesting villain as she could have had a lot of potential to be a recurring villain in the series had she not been killed off.
- Her character design is actually sexy and attractive, even compared to Rias and Akeno.
- Raynare was likely meant to be hated with the way she is.
- Hitomi Nabatame and Felecia Angelle both do a good job voicing her.
- Raynare's alias, Yuuma (夕麻), means "setting sun", in reference to her killing Issei at sunset on their first date.
- Her full alias, in traditional order (Amano Yuuma), can be translated as "Heaven's Evening Daze", or phonetically Ama no Yuuma.
- In the Light Novel and Manga, Raynare only grew a pair of black wings on her back as opposed to the Anime, where all of her clothing and physical age changed when she revealed her identity as a Fallen Angel.
- Among the series antagonists after her, and despite being the weakest one, Raynare was the sole one who had the deepest impact on Issei until getting over her with Akeno, Asia and Koneko's help.
- Raynare bears a strong resemblance to Kyouko Sonan from Kenzen Robo Daimidaler.