Peter Griffin (Family Guy (Seasons 7-present)
Peter Griffin is the titular main protangonist (and sometimes antagonist) of the Fox American animated sitcom Family Guy. However, he is not as nice a character as some may imagine in fact throughout the course of the series, Peter has caused much misery for those around himself and he's not immune to flanderization, which we'll be going through. So, bare with us, okay?
He is voiced by the Family Guy creator, Seth McFarlane.
Why He Sucks Now
- Although not entirely villainous or evil, Peter is shown to be a stupid, rude, crude, moronic, short-tempered, immature, stubborn, selfish, reckless, egotistical, and argumentative person who causes misery to a great deal of people around him and rarely feels affectionate towards his children, especially Meg, and even with Lois, who he has shown a great deal of disrespect towards, cheating on her on several occasions.
- Most of his time is spent with his drinking buddies, getting wasted and going wherever he wants, doing whatever they want, and costing thousands of dollars of damage with his drunken or sober tomfoolery. He has been willing to do much more for his friends than he has for his family as well.
- Another example of his negative aspects is how terrible of a husband he is to his wife, Lois. Peter almost always takes her for granted, despite him being considerably lucky to have her due to the fact that Lois was the daughter of a billionaire, is very attractive and has had the affection of several others around her who are arguably better people than Peter. There have been more than enough instances to show Peter has been cheating on Lois, such as when he admitted on television he knew the names of every pornographic star, even those who had joined an hour before, and has been openly shown to either have attractions for other women and former sexual partners during his marriage with Lois.
- He is also shown to be an absolutely manipulative, atrocious, and cheating father, demeaning, demoralizing, pranking and downright abusing his family, especially Meg. In fact, Peter actually left Meg behind when she was in mortal danger, saying that he and Lois had decided if they needed to leave a child behind, it would be Meg. Along with this, he openly admitted to everyone that he hated the kids, simply because they didn't do anything or weren't entertaining. However, there have been moments in other episodes where Peter has been there for his children, having good times with them, getting some laughs, and even taking them to fun amusement parks or parties.
- He has murdered several innocent people for no reason or second thought including children and elderly people. After he does this he usually laughs or forgets about it, and usually goes unpunished for this, except for the time he blew up a children's hospital, for which he served a sentence of week in prison, but although this was an accident he still expressed no remorse.
- Speaking of "Blowing up hospitals", he's also committed serval acts terrorism, like that time he blew up another hospital while imitating the Joker, or that time he blew up a bridge after he befriended an Islamic terrorist, which was another accident.
- He is frequently very cruel to animals such as when he killed Quagmire's cat with a straight razor in an attempt to shave it and when he eviscerated a whale with a forklift. Even Brian isn't safe from Peter's cruelty, as in one episode, Peter threw Brain into a fire hydrant with his car, causing him to lose his teeth, and in another episode, Peter kills Brian in a pig form with a knife.
- Like Homer Simpson, his stupidity has gone from being enjoyable to being annoying, and sometimes outright unlikable since Season 7, though Peter became far less likable.
- In one episode he had child pornography on his computer, which is illegal and a serious crime. He even went as far as to throw the laptop into the ocean to prevent it's discovery. He has also shown a sexual attraction to Meg's underage bully Connie D'Amico.
- He once tried to marry his son Chris just for his money in "Fresh Heir".
- When Brian called out Peter because he's done a lot of worse things than Brian, Peter interrupted him and acted like it was no big deal, which shows that Peter cannot handle or understand criticism.
- In "Lottery Fever", he shot Joe in the eye and Quagmire in the throat.
- In "Family Goy", he overreacted to Lois being Jewish, proving that he's anti semitic.
- In "A Fistful of Meg", he shamelessly stripped naked in front of Brian for no reason and deliberately shoves his nudity in the dog's face, going so far as to actually mail his penis to Brian.
- He once dressed up like a member of the Ku Klux Klan to get rid of Jerome (who is black) which is extremely offensive.
- In "And Then There's Fraud", he and Chris started scamming people with sports equipment signed by famous people.
- When he's not unlikable, he can often be a butt monkey (the episode "Peter-assment" is a good example).
- In the earlier seasons of Family Guy, Peter was just a very charming dim-witted father that always meant well and was very affectionate to his children, including Meg, which makes his flanderization much sadder.
- There are funny moments with him sometimes like this.
- At least he’s sometimes likable, and he has gotten more likable in the new seasons.
- In more recent seasons, he began reconciling with Meg, thus his abuse of her began to dial down.
- His abuse of Meg stopped in "Peter's Sister" when his daughter saved him from losing by knocking his sister unconscious with a chair.
- Sometimes, he receives comeuppance for his sinful deeds.
- His abuse has stopped in later seasons.
- He can be seen bonding with his family.
- He has admitted on occasions that he does deeply love his family, he just doesn't show it like he should.
- He has done some heroic deeds, such as adopting Brian as a stray, saving his daughter, finding a missing kid, etc.
- Despite doing the same, he hates whenever someone picks on his daughter, Meg.
- He sometimes shows remorse for his bad actions, like when he accidentally shot Cleveland Junior.
- He is shown to care deeply about and love his friends and family.
- He, along with Quagmire, help Joe find the criminal that crippled him after he escaped from jail.
- He (although he didn't care at first) and Lois did not approve of Meg attending a foot fetish party.
- He, Cleveland, and Quagmire were upset when they found out Joe wanted to kill himself.
- Just like on RQ 11, he felt bad about accidentally shooting Cleveland Junior and felt horrible when people started to threaten Cleveland and his son when the lawyer that Carter got for Peter made Cleveland Junior the bad guy.
- He also tries to fix his mistakes, like when he accidentally destroyed the internet.
Peter Griffin has become one of the most hated Family Guy characters since Season 7. Along with other flanderized characters, he is considered the worst character on Family Guy. Despite this, there still some fans who like him despite his flanderization.
- He is very similar to Eric Cartman from South Park as they are both selfish, abusive, racist, misogynistic individuals who would kill anyone just for their own personal gain. However, Cartman usually does this more often and doesn't have any regrets.
- Coincidentally, both are overweight.
- In the Reception Family Wikis, he has been used for comparisons a lot by other users, though most of these are nonsense.
- He has spawned a ton on internet memes.