Penelope is the secondary antagonist of the 2013 video game Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. She was voiced by Annette Toutonghi.
While she was great in Honor Among Thieves, she was badly franderized in Thieves in Time.
Why She Is A Bad Twist Villain Now
- She is now a victim of an Evil All Along cliche, which ruined her reputation among fans. It doesn’t help that her being evil had very little foreshadowing.
- Her motives don't make sense, as she betrayed the Cooper Gang because she felt that Sly was holding Bentley back from doing greater things, despite having nothing but respect and support for Sly, so trying to murder him out of jealously was just absurd.
- Given her hateful, sociopathic nature and desire to profit in weapon designs, that means world domination through warfare.
- It is very obvious that she is the Black Knight, because she previously disguised herself as the Black Baron and her episode is called “Of Mice and Mechs”.
- She is a lot more unlikable than in her first appearance.
- Her redesign is awful and looks absolutely nothing like her original design.
- She showed no remorse for betraying her former comrades and plans on killing them including Sly, even if it means getting Bentley's skills and making a profit.
- She decided to join Le Paradox on his quest to erase the Thievius Raccoonus through time. However, she actually intends to backstab Le Paradox when she's done using him, not knowing he would do the same to her.
- When Bentley tried to inform her of the truth that she's being a fool and that Le Paradox is just using her to do his dirty work and was nothing more than his puppet. Penelope refused to listen to him and declared their relationship over for good.
- In the end, Penelope is actually a selfish gold digger, and a frozen-hearted sociopath masquerading as an axe-crazy yandere. She may claim everything she did was for Bentley, but really, she's just a jealous, greedy, cold hearted scumbag who never loved him or cared about his feelings.
- She is the only villain in Thieves in Time that manages to break out of jail, despite her defeat of Sly and the gang and resumes her activities, making her a karma houdini.
- She's also the reason fans don't want to acknowledge Thieves in Time as canon anymore because of her Sudden Sequel Heel Syndrome, and the resulting Ship Sinking between her and Bentley. These same fans also retcon her as either Brainwashed and Crazy, or an evil clone.
- Annette Toutonghi still does a good job voicing her.
- She can be seen as an example on not to trust someone if you have met them online.
- The twist that she's a villain seemed like an interesting idea, but it was poorly executed and ultimately came off as a cheap twist for shock value.
- She was a much better character in the third game.