Norman Price (Season 6-present)
Norman Price is a character from the children's TV show Fireman Sam, in the first five seasons of the show, he was a 7 year old boy who often caused mischief and also liked to play harmless tricks on his friends and even the people in the Fire Brigade.
However since Season 6, his character got flanderized.
Why He Sucks Now
- As mentioned above, he has gotten flanderized. He started out as a mischievous boy who only played harmless tricks on his friends, but has now turned into a whiny, bratty jerk who wants to forcefully get what he wants without thinking of others.
- His voice is extremely annoying and unbearable to listen to (mainly in the UK dub).
- Sometimes he does horrible things to other characters for the most pettiest reasons.
- In one episode, Norman ties up James into a chair for a stunt video in a room that is covered with flammable liquids, considerably dangerous.
- And in even another episode, Norman purposely locks James in the swimming pool changing room by gluing the door shut, just so he could be the star of a synchronized swimming show.
- There is an episode where he steals Joe Sparkes' rescue submarine and crashes it at bottom of lake, just to try to film some monster that probably isn't even real.
- He takes the batteries from the Floods' smoke alarm to use for his boom box in a magic show.
- He convinces James into watching a rescue demonstration from the fire station's pitched roof at its Open Day, and then in another episode, attempts to get James's plane down from a tree with a unstable piles of logs, resulting in them both stuck in tree.
- He manipulates Mandy to set off a flare they found which Mandy refuses to do, luckily she gives it to Penny, stuck on the cliffs, instead.
- He deliberately sets up the fire alarm in order to get his football back, refusing to own up to it.
- Norman and his cousin Derek use fire beaters as oars to go rowing alone and end up losing them in the river when a grassland fire occurs.
- In most of the episodes, he is the cause of the emergencies.
- Unlike in previous seasons, he never learns his lesson or gets properly disciplined. He just gets a warning from the fire brigade that he immediately forgets in the next episode and nothing else!
- Despite his flanderization, there are some episodes where he is actually likable and even heroic, like in the special "Fireman Sam: Alien Alert", where he exposes Buck Douglas' scheme. And some episodes, he's innocent or obedient or doesn't cause disasters, like he didn't cause the gas canister explosion and forest fire which Sarah and Mandy caused after disobeying Ellie.
- Deep down, Norman does care about others around him.
- Despite his obnoxious voice in the UK, at least his US voice actors, Carter Treneer (US, series 6-10, specials 1-3), and Mark Ricci (US, seasons 11-current, specials 4-current)) did a decent-to-good job voicing him. In fact, his first US voice actor actually had a fitting voice for him, as he was a child-teenager back when he voiced him.
- At least he apologizes and shows regret for the things he has done.