Nomi Malone (Showgirls)
Nomi Malone (real name: Polly Ann Costello) is the main anti-heroine of the 1995 7-time Razzie Award-winning erotic-drama film Showgirls. She is portrayed by Elizabeth Berkely (who is better known for her role as Jessie Spano in the teen sitcom Saved by the Bell).
Why She Fails at Being a Showgirl
- She has little to no character development and personality.
- She is a jerk to everyone around her and seems more like a sociopath. She is also very mean-spirited, greedy, and selfish towards anyone she interacts with as well, such as Molly and Cristal.
- The sex scenes between her and Zack having sex in the swimming pool and her having a lap dance were both absolutely laughable that felt like an unintentional comedy and not arousing at all.
- In one scene, she attacked Molly and her car. What does Molly do about it? Take her for dinner, of course.
- She killed her actress Elizabeth Berkeley's career, as she has had no other roles since then.
- Not only did she kill Elizabeth Berkeley's career, but she also killed their studio Carolco Pictures.
- She overreacts to the smallest things, such as being asked a simple question.
- For some reason, the characters accept and love her despite her being a psychopathic jerk.
- Despite her poor portrayal, it can be argued that she is pretty attractive.
- At least she redeemed herself at the end by beating Andrew Carver in his hotel room for Molly and apologizing to Cristal for pushing her down the stairs.
- She got a taste of her own medicine when Zack scolded her for her sordid past.
- Her being a jerk in the movie is because she was a runaway and a former prostitute and her mom was killed by her dad who shot himself when she was 15, but you should feel really sorry for her.
- The name "Nomi Malone" came from Joe Eszterhas's wife's nickname, Nomi (her real name is Naomi). He chose "Malone" because he thought of Nomi as being "alone" in the world.
- Drew Barrymore was originally going to play Nomi, but she dropped out of the role due to her being uncomfortable with the amount of nudity in the script and her inability to dance.
- When Nomi goes to audition for Goddess, the director says she looks like Pollyanna. Coincidently, near the end of the film, her real name is revealed by Zack to be Polly Ann.
- Her mispronunciation of "Versace" as "Versayce" was suggested by Elizabeth Berkley.