Jump to navigation Jump to search
Music Gamble is the titular tritagonist of the infamous 2021 film Music. She is portrayed by Maddie Ziegler in her debut role.
Why She Sucks
- Comparable to Jeffy from SuperMarioLogan, the core problem is that she is an ableist caricature without any personality whose characterization amounts to a bunch of autistic stereotypes and nothing else.
- Her characterization drew comparisons to a school bully making fun of an autistic person, which is incredibly offensive and insulting towards the autistic community.
- She is constantly objectified throughout the movie as she only serves as an obstacle for Ebo and Zu to overcome.
- She is a total Mary Sue who gets respected and liked at first sight by all the other characters. Not only that, she never feels grief or sadness, is self-sufficient enough to brush her teeth and dress without explanation, and always sees the world as a bed of roses!
- Despite being the titular character of the movie, she is mostly portrayed as a supporting character, as the film focuses more on Zu and Ebo.
- The face she makes when she is smiling (shown in the image of her) looks rather horrifying.
- Maddie Ziegler does an absolutely horrible job portraying her, especially with the overuse of the open mouth as seen above.
- Not only that, Maddie Ziegler was a controversial casting choice, to begin with, as she is neurotypical and was only cast because she is a frequent collaborator of Sia, the director of the film.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- The concept of a non-verbal, severely autistic character in the film is good, even if it was executed at its worst here.
- Maddie Ziegler hated her portrayal of the character early on. She was worried about making fun of autistic people during filming, to the point where she once broke down crying on set. Sia also forced Ziegler to play the role against her own will, meaning that Sia mentally and emotionally abused her.