Mum and Dad (Horrid Henry)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mum and Dad are major characters from the Horrid Henry series created by American author Francesca Simon and British illustrator Tony Ross. They are the parents of Horrid Henry and Perfect Peter.
Why They Both Suck
- They approve of Perfect Peter's Gary-Stu behavior and do not trust Horrid Henry a single bit, just because he's Horrid.
- They tend to be mean-spirited, abusive and unlikable in many of the books and episodes of the TV series to the point where it's completely understandable why Henry is so horrid: he lives in an abusive family that doesn't care for him.
- Like with Peter, they never never let Henry do anything he likes.
- They are absolutely brainwashed, they should really discipline Peter and tell him not to speak when Henry wants to ignore. In other, Peter himself asks for it.
- One example of this is in the Season 1 episode "Where's Fluffy?" where they think Henry is accusing Margaret for stealing Fluffy, even though Henry was telling the truth about Fluffy. Henry then says that nobody listens to him, which is true.
- In Horrid Henry's Horrid Revenge and Horrid Henry's Special Spinner, they went as far as to take everything out of Henry's room just to teach him a lesson, which is going WAY too far!
- They say "Don't be Horrid, Henry!" countless times.
- They are incredibly overprotective.
Why Mum Sucks
- She never cares about anything Henry likes and only cares about Peter because of his behavior, and nothing else.
- She calls Henry "Horrid" even when he isn't doing anything.
- Blames Henry for absolutely ANYTHING he does, good or bad.
- She once got Dad into trouble too!
- She is completely oblivious to the abuse Henry suffers from Moody Margaret, Stuck-Up Steve or any other of Henry's arch enemies. She thinks all of those mentioned are "very kind to Henry" when it's the other way around. It would be more like Henry is very kind to Margaret and Steve.
- It's shown that she really hates and hardly cares about Henry in reality:
- In the episode "Happy Birthday Peter!", she cheers when Colin the Clown makes Henry disappear. Even Moody Margaret of all characters showed some disgust to that!
- In "Horrid Henry and the Dinner Guests", Henry attempts to show off his karate skills and Mum's boss's husband hits him so hard he goes flying across the room into Mum's arms, who doesn't even react to Henry getting punched at all.
- She once humiliated Henry by making him go to Ralph’s house in pink clothing!
- In Horrid Henry's Sick Day, she neglected Henry by saying that Peter is the sickest, basically, she was saying she cared more about Peter.
- In the book, she also brought Henry pink tartan trousers, abit that was only because she lost her temper when Henry threw a tantrum.
- She is so lazy that she makes Henry wrap his Christmas presents!
- In several episodes, Mum had made Henry get out of bed on the weekends, so she’s basically depriving him of sleep.
- In “Horrid Henry and the Dinner Guests” she made Henry go to bed before Peter.
- She constantly makes Henry do things he doesn’t like.
- She also neglects Henry as Henry managed to sneak out into the garden at midnight and also let Peter get stuck in the tree at midnight too.
Why Dad Sucks
- He's lazy and sometimes lacks intelligence.
- He sometimes ignores both Henry and Peter.
- He usually leaves Mum to do the punishments, similar to Hugh Neutron from The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius and Hiroshi Nohara from Crayon Shin-Chan.
- He even tried to fight Henry once!
- His voice is far too annoying.
Their Redeeming Qualities
- It's not easy having a kid as horrid as Henry, but it still doesn't excuse their treatment of him that much.
- They are at least there when Henry and Peter need them.
- They mean well.
- Their character designs are okay.
- They tend to be more likeable in some episodes and books.
- One example is in the episode "Horrid Henry and the Silly Siblings", where it's shown that Dad is more or less like a Henry guy, and Uncle Francis (His little brother) is like a Peter guy. In fact, episodes focusing on the two tend to be better.
- They have had their funny moments.
- To their credit, they're not physically abusive towards Henry. (For the most part)
- Given that Henry has the most unhealthy diet comprehensible, it's hard not to argue against them trying to get him to eat vegetables. (Even if they are a bit forceful about it)
- Some of the punishments they give to Henry are passable (eg, when he ruins Prissy Polly's wedding) and they do occasionally punish Peter.
Mum's Redeeming Qualities
- She once complimented Henry for telling the truth.
- She once apologizes to Henry for accusing him for something.
Dad's Redeeming Qualities
- Dad is actually a little bit nicer to Henry from Season 4, and that's saying something. In fact, Dad is generally less oblivious to Henry than Mum.
- He has a fun-loving side at times.