Momma Robotnik (Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog)
Momma Robotnik, also called Mama Robotnik, is a character that appears in the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series. She is an obese human and the mother of the infamous Dr. Ivo Robotnik. She is usually kept in a nursing home called "Mobius Home for Really Bizarre Mothers", though she tends to escape from time to time. Her viciousness is enough to scare even Robotnik himself, and Sonic considers her his second-greatest enemy.
Why She Intentionally Sucks
Note: Her character only exists so we can root for Dr. Robotnik to succeed.
- While she is an intentionally unlikeable character that solely exists to make us sympathize even more for Robotnik as the main antagonist of the show, she lacks all of the likeability her son has. Robotnik has so many moments in the show where he can be surprisingly affable, and even polite at times despite being an over-the-top villain.
- She has an extremely cheesy character design, which is a feminized reskin of the iconic but grotesque-looking Dr. Robotnik himself (down to having the exact same mustache as him! Yes, women have facial hair, but not to this extent of looking masculine in a ridiculous way.)
- Her facial design without the mustache isn't all that appealing either. In fact, it's nearly as ugly as Robotnik is without his mustache.
- Speaking of which, in the following episodes "Sonic is Running", "The Last Resort" and "Lifestyles of the Sick and Twisted", she starts to have a more unappealing and hideous character design than ever before.
- Her parenting skills are beyond abysmal and inept, mainly due to how heartless, careless and mean-spirited she is towards her own son.
- For example, in the episode "Zoobotnik"; right after she ruined Robotnik's wedding by fighting Katella, Momma shamelessly tells her own son that she raised him to always be dishonest, a compulsive liar, and expected him to be more of a ruthless monster. This was right after Robotnik was being honest about why Sonic instigated the fight and didn't want to be affiliated with Katella in the first place. Then Momma starts spanking him. It's no wonder why Robotnik turned out to be the petty villain that he is today.
- Her atrociously lousy 'parenting' aside, she is still very much a selfish jerk towards her own son, often abusing Robotnik both verbally and physically to the point of making Robotnik genuinely fear her, which gets taken to the point of making her an abusive mom that is irredeemably vile.
- In the episode "Momma Robotnik's Birthday", she forces Robotnik to watch her capture Sonic in person since she wanted the Mobius National Park destroyed as her gift. After Robotnik failed to please her because of his henchmen's blunders and Robotnik making white lies to her, she then kicks her own son out of his very own fortress. She also takes away Robotnik's own minions to be on her own (Coconuts being the only exception that eventually crawls back to Robotnik for being put in sewage control).
- In the episode "Momma Robotnik Returns", she proudly disowns Robotnik so she could try to adopt Sonic, which she then makes a fool of herself for doing just that.
- While she is greatly voiced by Kathleen Barr, her evil laugh sounded jarring in "Momma Robotnik's Birthday" and "Momma Robotnik Returns", especially when it sounded more like simultaneous gasping before she made a normal-sounding laugh. Not to mention that her yelling heard in "Sonic Is Running" and "Zoobotnik" sound obnoxious and grating.
- Her motives are very idiotic, extremely questionable, and a whole lot pettier than Robotnik's villainous and/or attention-seeking motives. There were many times when her immoral actions can make her out to be less competent than her own son most of the time. One example of this is when she captures Tails in a dungeon but doesn't think to realize how Sonic can rescue him since Momma kicked her son out of his own home.
- If she is supposed to be even worse than Robotnik as a psychopath, why not try taking over the world herself instead of doing pointless things?
- She, for whatever reason, comes back to Robotnik despite the latter supposedly driving her away from him.
- She sometimes gets her comeuppance for her villainous deeds (especially when Robotnik gave her a satisfying comeuppance in "Sonic Is Running"), which isn't saying much since she never learns from her mistakes at all, especially compared to what her son, his idiotic minions, and Dr. Warpnik had received for their misdeeds and shortcomings.
- As mentioned above, Kathleen Barr does a great job at voicing her since it matches the cartoonishly evil tone in Momma Robotnik's villainous personality that her son already has in a way.
- While she is obnoxious, self-centered, abusive and a relentless troublemaker, some viewers can find her to be nearly as entertaining as Robotnik is, which can make Momma Robotnik more of a "love-to-hate" type of villain, despite her having little comeuppance for her egregious behavior.
- It's very obvious that she is meant to be hated since she serves as the very reason for where a part of Robotnik's villainy comes from (aside from the episode "Best Hedgehog" explaining how and why Robotnik is a villain).