Misty is the tritagonist of the original Pokémon anime series. Although Misty is the leader of the Cerulean Gym in the games, she left the Gym to her three older sisters prior to traveling with Ash in the anime. She was Ash's first female traveling companion. She is voiced by Mayumi Iizuka in the Japanese version, Rachael Lillis in the 4Kids English version and Michele Knotz in the TPCi English version.
- She is a short-tempered whiny jerk who tends to complain (and sometimes resorts to physical violence) when things don't go her way sometimes.
- While she can come off as a good friend to Ash, she can also come off as a ruthless bully towards him.
- While her voice actress puts in a great performance, her dialogue can make her performance come off as just grating.
- Whenever she does any bad things, she hardly ever gets punished for it.
- While she does tend to have an understanding backstory of growing up with three olders sisters that were often mean to her, that doesn't exactly make up much for her jerkass personality as it isn't really all that huge and deep, and it can at times come off as just an excuse for any type of entitlement Misty is interested in.
- While her abusiveness towards her friends can be pretty funny as slapstick, it can also come off as mean-spirited.
- Her interest in Water-type Pokémon can come off as quite shallow because she is interested in them just because of their cute appearance.
- She can also be very meddling. A good example is when she tried to get two kids with a rivalry with each other to become a couple so their Nidorans that are in love with each other can be together. While it is considered a considerate action, being meddlesome does tend to be a bad thing.
- She kept on needlessly bringing up her destroyed bike towards Ash.
- Despite Ash understandingly being new to the ways of being a Pokémon trainer, Misty makes his inexperience come off as being idiotic, and she never gives him a break about how Pokemon trainers are supposed to be.
- She is often a good friend to Ash, and is currently one of his best friends.
- She is a well experienced Pokémon trainer.
- Her voice actress puts in a very great performance.
- Her design is very cute.
- She became a lot more nicer and less bratty as the series progressed, and she began to have more nice moments than jerkass moments in the episodes.
- Her temper and physicalness can get hilarious sometimes.
- Ash can be rude to her as well, so it makes sense she would defend herself.
- Considering how pricey bikes are in the Pokémon world, Misty was completely justified in getting angry that her bike was destroyed.
- Misty at least learns her lesson sometimes, such as when she learns to stop being so contemptuous towards Ash’s Caterpie (unfortunately she was hesitant to make friends with it due to her bug phobia).