Minoru Mineta (My Hero Academia)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
"A hero? Really?! Try learning how to be a good person first!"— Kota Izumi
Minoru Mineta, aka Grape Juice, is a student in Class 1-A at U.A. High School and appears in My Hero Academia. He is known for his Quirk called "Pop Off", which Minoru to make extremely sticky yet removable spheres from his head.
- Let's get the elephant out of the room. He is a "pervert" (no, not the good kind or the well-executed kind like Meliodas, Sanji and Jiraiya) to the point where the girls (and even some of the boys) will attack him the first chance they get. Even Mr. Aizawa is aware of Mineta's lust and does not allow him to cross certain lines of human decency.
- He's a hypocrite who criticizes others for having perverted behavior (even if they turn out to be more than misunderstandings), yet had no qualms about making a sexual comment to a 6-year-old girl.
- He tries way too hard to be cool or popular. However, he ends up failing, thus being looked down on by many girls and boys.
- He, alongside Denki Kaminari, tricked Izuku Midoriya into persuading Mr. Aizawa to give them permission to use the school pool just to see the girl's bikinis. However, they got disappointed when the girls were wearing school-mandated swimsuits (though later on, Minoru did appreciate the fact that the girls were wearing swimsuits instead, but you can't always get what you want in life).
- While Denki does have an interest in girls, he still respects their privacy. Minoru, however, takes it too far when he reveals his plan to climb a wall and spy on the girls' side of the hot springs (even Denki tells Mineta that he's taking it too far).
- Another instance was when he used a peephole to spy on the girls' locker room, which almost led to him getting punched by Izuku.
- He often denies the truth about himself. For example, he chose Mt. Lady for an internship, which made Tsuyu accusing him of his lecherous personality, yet Mineta decides to deny it.
- Most of his screen-time is just him being a whiny prick. In fact, it can sometimes annoy someone who doesn't want to hear Mineta act like a whiny and spoiled brat.
- Minoru is also shown to be jealous. like when he and Denki antagonize Izuku just because Izuku got to fight against Camie Utsushimi (who was actually a disguised Himiko Toga). In fact, Izuku said that Minoru (alongside Denki) was misinterpreting everything and what actually happened.
- He can be a full-on jackass in some specific moments, like when Katsuki and Shoto failed the Provisional Hero License Exam and Minoru found out about it. What does he do? He makes fun of them and calls them "losers".
- Minoru can also be seen as being picky. For instance, Tenya asks ideas from Class 1-A about U.A. High School's festival. Denki said that they should do a maid cafe. This made Minoru object and call it lame (he even said that he wanted a topless bar instead), thus allowing Momo to have Mineta's suggestion eliminated.
- He's kind of a bad hero. His Quirk is too situational and he'd rather run away from a fight instead of actually trying to find a way to beat a villain.
- Sometimes, Minoru can actually be hilarious at times (though this may depend on your own view).
- Surprisingly enough, he's actually intelligent to the point that he can score very high on tests and come up with creative strategies in order to achieve victory.
- The reason why Minoru is loathsome is that Kohei Horikoshi has trouble balancing his likability with his perversion.
- He still does get along fine with some characters such as Izuku (because Minoru admires Izuku for his acts of heroism) and Tsuyu (while Tsuyu does punish Minoru for his perverted behavior, both worked together to defeat several villains in the U.S.J. Arc).
- His voice actresses, Ryō Hirohashi and Brina Palencia, still did a good job voicing him.
- He did get some character development in My Hero Academia: Two Heroes.
- His design can admittedly be cute at times.
- When Midoriya is in the hospital, Mineta gave him a watermelon, which is nice.
- He usually gets punished for his perverted tendencies.
- He beat Midnight, a pro-hero, all by himself. Some of the best fighters in Class 1-A, such as Todoroki and Bakugo, had to team up with someone else to accomplish this.
- He's grown as a character, as he went from being a whiny baby to a confident hero.
- Minoru's surname contains the kanji for "summit" (峰 mine?) and "rice field" (田 ta?), and his first name contains "to bear fruit, great fertility, berry" (実 minoru?).
- Minoru's preliminary design had him as slightly taller and wearing a more unique pair of shoes, resembling those that Izuku Midoriya usually wears. His costume also had additional details like a stem on the upper part of his mask, further referencing his grape theme.