Mayor Susan Shelbourne is the main antagonist of the American film Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, based on the storybook on the same name. He is the mayor of the town of Swallow Falls, which is the main setting of the film.
Mayor Shelbourne also appears in a TV show adaption of the aforementioned film (which is a prequel to the film) that first aired on Cartoon Network, where he appears as the the one who runs the school of Cannery High. He is also shown to have a son named Gilbert Shelbourne.
Why He Sucks
- He is a greedy, selfish and above all gluttonous man who dreams of being big and achieving greatness. He even wanted people to say "that is one big mayor!" when they saw him.
- Due to his gluttonous and voracious nature, he has an unhealthy obsession with eating and loves to eat unhealthy amounts of food in one go. He has a craving for the most bizarre and fatty foods imaginable, including a pizza stuffed inside a turkey deep fried in chocolate, or even shoving a overmutated hot dog with ice cream and donuts on it. He even ate a sandwich raft KEEPING HIM AFLOAT!
- He is a lying and manipulative man with little morals. He once said that "bigger is better", disregarding the fact that sometimes bigger is NOT always better.
- He is probably even worse than other greedy characters like Mr. Krabs (Seasons 6-8).
- He is often an annoying narcissist with an overinflated ego.
- Later in the film, Shelbourne gained hundreds of pounds in less than a month, became a very obese mayor after greedily consuming large helpings of food, and was reduced to moving on a mobility scooter. As the movie progresses on, the FLDSMDFR starts to overload, so Flint tries to shut it down to prevent it from creating a giant food storm. Unfortunately, Shelbourne refuses to let him do so and destroys the communication device to the FLDSMDFR after mindlessly ordering a "Vegas' style all-you-can-eat buffet", causing the machine to become self-aware and start up the major food storm.
- Despite being fat, Shelbourne is able to do things that he couldn't with his obesity but he can possibly because the writers didn't think about it when they wrote the movie, like how he managed to sneak into Flint's laboratory twice because he couldn't have entered because A) He was too fat to enter into the elevator and even Flint's dad had problems when getting into it and B) The elevator had a password he didn't know about.
In the TV Show adaptation
- He was flanderized in the TV show adaptation, making him even worse. He began acting more greedy and was more of a jerk than he already was.
- He only seems to care about his equally narcissistic son.
- Speaking of his son, he doesn't seem to really pay attention to him, making him come across as a neglectful parent.
- It wouldn't make much sense to be the principal of the school if he were the mayor of Swallow Falls.
- Shelbourne is not a character from the orignal storybook, much like the rest of the cast. This makes him a bit original, so the idea of adding him wasn't that bad.
- The film's credits showed a scene of Shelbourne getting arrested by Earl for his greedy actions. However, taking advantage that Earl becames distracted for a moment, he jumps into a hole, possibly escaping or simply falling to his possible demise.
- At least he is not as flanderized in the TV show as Flint.
- It can be argued that making him as unlikable as possible was intentional, since he is the film's villain after all.