Light Yagami (Death Note)
Light Yagami is the protagonist villain of the Shōnen Jump manga/anime series, Death Note.
Upon discovering a notebook that can kill people known as the "Death Note", high school senior Light Yagami vowed to use its power to bring justice and peace to the world, but he went mad with power a while after using it, and gains a massive god complex to create a world of which he would rule as its god.
His murdering with the use of the "Death Note" has been noticed by the authorities and media, to which they dubbed him as "Kira". It also gained the attention of the worlds' greatest detectives L, Mello, and Near, as they vow to find out the identity of Kira, and bring him to justice.
- His method of trying to bring peace and justice to the world by using the "Death Note" comes off as over-the-top and acting like a childish, arrogant and heartless jerk that really gets old and annoying whenever he's boasting about being a savior to the world.
- He comes off as a very unlikable and pathetic egotist. Even though his plan in the beginning was to rid the world of crime and injustice, it slowly changes into to not wanting to get caught by the authorities, and to be worshiped as a god.
- Speaking of being an egotist, he has such overwhelming pride in his intentions, that he'd even go as far as to kill anyone who calls his actions wrong or evil.
- His sense of justice and peace is heavily contradicted by his long list of murders, and his willingness to kill his family members if they became liability, but only backs out because of the scrutiny it would draw. Thus, it just makes him what Near states he truly is: Nothing more and nothing less than a crazy serial killer.
- His unlikably sadistic and murderous nature makes him lose a lot of sympathy, like when he killed Naomi Misora by using the Death Note to make her commit suicide, and the way he tells her he's Kira and taunting her afterwards is very unsettling.
- As the series progresses, whatever characterization he has other than being a delusional, sadistic and murderous god-wannabe gets thrown out of the window; as a result, he loses a lot of empathy and regard for everyone around him, especially his family, that he hardly even cared that his father died. Also, he lets his ego inflate so heavily that he got caught off guard, which led to his demise six years later after pulling a dumb mistake by letting Mikami hide the Death Note in a bank deposit box.
- Even though he does a good job at concealing his identity, it's very easy to guess he's Kira based on his personality.
- Aside from his massive pride and sadism, Light does come off as an interesting character in the beginning of the series.
- His English dub voice actor puts in a PHENOMENAL performance.
- He was an excellent opponent for both L and Near.
- His ways of concealing his identity are very clever and well thought out.
- His famous quote, That's right, I am Kira. and I'll take a potato chip, and eat it!
- The most interesting thing about him is his ambiguous morality, which can make him likeable for some people.
- He still meant well at first.