Lex Luthor (DC Extended Universe)
Alexander Joseph Luthor, Jr., otherwise known as Lex Luthor, is the main antagonist of the 2016 superhero film Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the second installment of the DC Extended Universe and the sequel to 2013's Man of Steel, and a minor antagonist in 2017's Justice League.
Why He Sucks
- Lex Luthor looks like a college student, rather than a bald adult like in the comics.
- He's a spoiled daddy's boy who inherited Lexcorp rather than a genius billionaire, rarely acts like himself, and very obviously went through a lot of rewrites.
- Jessie Eisenberg did a terrible job portraying him.
- The psychotic and upbeat persona of this Lex Luthor seems more appropiate for the Joker of The Dark Knight Trilogy, with some going as far to accuse Jesse Eisenberg of playing Luthor as if he was playing the Joker like Heath Ledger did in GMW.
- The scene with the Jolly Rancher candy.
- His plan is also confusing, nonsensical, and often self-contradicting. His motivation also constantly changes between hating Kryptonians, hating god, daddy issues, and knowing that invaders are coming in the future.
- He seems less like in evil criminal mastermind, and more like some wacky cartoon villain. Gene Hackman also did a comical performance as Luthor, but he was still intelligent and dangerous. This one doesn't really fit in even if he does manage to be one of the darkest villains in the franchise by a mile.
- Upon being arrested, Lex does end up with his head shaved, resembling more closely his comic book counterpart.
- Jesse Eisenberg stated in July 2019 that he is done playing Lex, so this Luthor will be likely recast or never appear again.