Jump to navigation Jump to search
Joseph Hisfriendfromschool is one of the main protagonists of SuperMarioLogan. He is a major character of most Bowser Junior videos and is seen in other videos, most notably certain Jeffy videos.
- He is very egotistic, greedy, annoying, whiny, rude, disgusting, and obnoxious, he seems to brag that he's better than everybody. Most of his screentime is either him being a less funny Junior clone, trying to act cool or obsessing over sports. He also seems to resemble Kenny McCormick's ways of being poor as well as dying and coming back. The only difference is that Kenny is actually likable.
- Despite working well as part of Junior's friend trio, unlike Junior and Cody he does not hold up as a character on his own, mostly because his character is rather basic and clearly more specialized towards being "Junior and Cody's friend".
- Even the series itself pokes fun at this, with his last name being "Hisfriendfromschool" of all things.
- Like Junior, he's a huge bully to his friends, especially Cody. He would yell at Cody about Ken being a doll and in Cody's Handcuffs, he admitted that he's tired of Cody and Ken, so Junior throws Ken behind the couch. He also makes fun of Cody's mom with Junior. Although rare, he is sometimes mean to Junior too.
- As mentioned above, much of his screen time consists of him copying Junior's opinions and traits and basically being his yes man, albeit usually without Junior's charm or wit. In some videos, whenever Junior acts like he's smarter than Cody, Joseph agrees to everything Junior says and takes his side, regardless of whether Junior's argument has any reasonable basis behind it (which usually it doesn't).
- He's very stupid just like Junior. In fact, his stupidity rivals Jeffy and Black Yoshi's on his worst days.
- Whenever something bad happens, he would often run away and say "I'm outta here, dude!", which gets pretty annoying really fast.
- Joseph is just another male variant of the mean popular girl trope. He also acts like an Alpha Bastard too.
- As of 2021 he rarely has any significant effect on the plot of videos he appears in, and seems to pretty much only be used as filler.
- Though even before 2021, there are quite a lot of videos where despite appearing through most of their runtime, Joseph could be removed from them and the video wouldn't change in any meaningful way, which speaks volumes to how unessential he can be.
- Like Junior, he has done his fair share of horrible things; Bowser Junior's Prank Gone Wrong for example, he and Junior blew an air horn in Chef Pee Pee's ear, making him deaf and they even use that problem to insult him.
- Starting with the episode "Flushed Away", he has developed a foot fetish for no reason other than for gross out humor.
- He was at his worst in Joseph the Hero and Joseph the Millionaire where he acts like an ungrateful jerk to Richard and Chives for not getting what he wants.
- He's also a liar too. In the same video, he lied about being poor, meaning he was actually rich all along, though to be fair, it's not clear whether or not the video is canon.
- For all his faults he is still an integral part of the Junior and friends videos and shares great chemistry with Junior and Cody. The Junior videos wouldn't be as great as they are without him.
- Despite being Junior's yes-man most of the time, he's still a good friend to Junior and he's often willing to help him out with his problems when he needs to.
- He could be likable in some episodes, for example, he is likable in Bowser Junior's Punishment.
- He's got some funny moments here and there.
- He has some memorable quotes like "Yeah, dude!" and "I get half!".
- With a few exceptions, he tends to be more interesting when he is the primary focus of a video (ex: "Joseph's House" and "Joseph Moves In")
- In general he's not truly a terrible character, just flat and underdeveloped and overly specialized more than anything else.
- He has a dark and surprisingly compelling backstory involving him growing up in an abusive household, supposedly losing both his parents and being left alone with deteriorating state of mind in a run down trailer park for years.
- In fact, this backstory alone could easily have provided a great framework in order to build a more interesting personality for Joseph based on how this has affected him, but unfortunately the most it usually amounts to is cheap jokes poking fun at him.
- Lovell Stanton does a good job at voicing him.
- When Joseph was introduced as a five-year-old, his initial voice was good at reflecting his initial kiddy attitude.
- In Joseph's New Shell!, he gets a new shell which doesn't look too bad. His human puppet is also one of the better ones as it mostly fits his character.
- He is right about Ken being a doll.
- Joseph was similar to Kenny McCormick from South Park in the older videos as both were poor and they died the most out of the others.
- Joseph’s similarity to Kenny ended as of Joseph the Millionaire and his red shell arrival due to Kenny still being poor but he has stopped dying almost everytime.
- Joseph is not actually poor. He is really rich and wealthy as revealed in Joseph the Millionaire!. He keeps this a secret so nobody can touch his stuff or only like him for his money.
- Joseph has a speech impediment.