Jerry Smith (Rick and Morty)
Jerry Smith is one of the main characters of Rick and Morty. He is the husband of Beth Smith, the father of Summer Smith and Morty Smith, and the son-in-law of Rick Sanchez and Mrs. Sanchez/Diane Sanchez, he is also the son of Leonard Smith and Joyce Smith, and the nephew of the Unnamed Uncle, he currently acts as the father and the son-in-law of the Morty Smith and Rick Sanchez from Dimension C-137, respectively. He shares the same history as his C-137 counterpart until the Cronenberg disaster, where it was averted in his dimension.
He is voiced by Chris Parnell.
- He is a very bland character whose bad marriage with Beth is typically the focus of the episode he plays a major role in.
- He is a self-pitying and self-centered egotist who is often so insecure about his intelligence that he'll even threaten a planet's ecosystem just to pretend he's right (as was the case of how he endangered the dwarf planet Pluto's ecosystem just so the Plutonians would agree with him on how Pluto is still a planet).
- He's especially insecure about his relationship with his wife Beth, as he gets immediately jealous whenever Beth spends time with someone other than himself.
- He's often the cause of several problems through his mistakes. For instance, his desire to make Snuffles smarter just so he wouldn't pee on the carpet caused Snuffles to turn against humanity and nearly overthrow them. He also blatantly ignored Rick's warning and developed an app with Glootie that nearly caused all of the Earth's ocean water to be drained.
- He's also a huge coward sometimes as he seems more interested in saving himself than saving his family. He even sold out his two children to his alien girlfriend instead of acting openly and breaking up with her, causing them to nearly get killed.
- His inability to relax and calm down has put himself and the people close to him in trouble, like the episode where he couldn't take two strokes off his golf game while getting help from the Meeseeks, causing the Meeseeks to run after him and attempt to murder him.
- He's a much bigger wimp than his own son, Morty.
- Instead of thanking Rick that he brought the Intergalactic Federation out of Earth, Jerry berates at Rick just for coming back into their lives, and questions Beth about who's more important: her father, or him.
- He sells out Rick to Rissoto Groupon and nearly gets him killed.
- His desire to prove he can do things without Rick's help ends up getting a passenger plane full of people killed.
- When Morty gets a new girlfriend and makes a happy life with her, Jerry undos it all with Morty's Reset Remote, causing him to lose his girlfriend, though admittedly it wasn't intentional.
- He has been improving and has had a vast number of badass moments in the series.
- He was at his best in "Rick Potion #9" as he was completely badass and saved his wife and was seen killing to protect and Beth and Summer.
- He is right about how much of a bad and dangerous person Rick is, and he's right to disagree with him being around the family.
- This is considered understandable since for his part, he sees Rick as a bad example for Morty.
- He is sympathetic whenever he's not trying to exploit his sympathetic side.
- He does care very deeply about his family, as he still means well for them.
- Chris Parnell does a good job voicing him.
- Like everyone else, his design is okay.