Warning! This article is NSFW!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
WARNING! This article is NSFL!
This article may contain content that is disturbing, including themes of rape, murder, abuse, drugging, crime, disaster, tragedy, etc.
NOTE: We are not ableist - many of us Reception Wiki users have autism. This is merely a constructive criticism on a character who gives a negative portrayal of mental disabilities.
Jeffy Jeffy François, or simply referred to as Jeffy, is one of the main characters of the SML series. He is the adoptive son of Mario and Rosalina. The character was created by Logan Thirtyacre and Elaina Keyes. He first appeared in the SML episode "Mario The Babysitter!".
Why He Sucks
- The elephant in the room; Jeffy was the character who split the SML community into factions. Jeffy has spawned some of the worst of the SML community with both his fans and his haters significantly contributing to the current negative perception of the SML fanbase.
- He is most known for being an uncontrollable, rowdy, destructive, and irritating nuisance almost 24/7, with his repetitive outbursts generally being little more than time-wasters and often being more tiring and grating to watch than amusing. A majority of his jokes amount to little more than him crying, cussing out the target of his rage, destroying property for little or sometimes no given reason, annoying Mario, or in the newer videos, unfunny stock catchphrases with little variance, and it gets old fast. A couple more specialized examples of this are:
- Jeffy's Bath Time: He threw his clothes at Mario & Rosalina, ran around naked, and pissed on Mario.
- Locked Out: He wasted his peas, acts like a brat at dinner, and most notoriously, locks Mario out of his house and even gets him arrested because he wouldn't let him eat chocolate cake.
- Jeffy's Bad Word: Arguably the worst of the bunch, Jeffy repeated the homophobic F-slur nonstop because of hearing Mario, and more infamously, called Mario a rapist and got him hated on a global scale simply because he justifiably spanked him for saying a slur.
- Jeffy Breaks His Leg: After breaking his leg, he acts lazy and tortures Mario until it heals and then tries to break his leg again at the end of the video.
- The Baby Project: He threw the baby off the balcony, threw it at the truck & threw the toaster into the water to electrocute the baby, causing it to get fried. Though, to be fair, it was a baby doll, to begin with, and not a real one and did get him an A+ from Jackie Chu. But still, it still shows how stupidly lethal and dangerous he can be.
- In Jeffy's Pokémon Card: He destroyed Bowser Jr's Pokémon card.
- Turkey Tyranny: He throws things around the dining room on the day of Thanksgiving.
- President Jeffy: He decides to ban and destroy all schools and green beans farms, all for no good reason.
- Hurricane Jeffy: He threw lots of furniture and objects around the house and destroyed a lot of household items simply because he wanted to "be a hurricane".
- Jeffy Gets Hypnotized: He throws the TV in the lake for absolutely no reason and later goes to throw a boombox.
- Mr. Goodman's Revenge: He makes holes in the wall with his hammer, once again for no reason.
- Jeffy's WiFi Problem: He broke a bunch of dishes mindlessly and drops some vases on the floor.
- Jeffy's Tantrum: He throws the TV off the balcony and later the couch.
- Jeffy's Big Mess: He burnt Mario's hat.
- Jeffy the Sheep: He nearly gets his dad arrested, all because he wouldn't get him a PS5.
- Jeffy Learns Manners: He throws his dinner at Moe-Bot's face.
- Invisible Jeffy: He assaults his teacher, skips school, makes a mess in a sandwich shop and films a girl using the bathroom.
- Jeffy's 17th Birthday: He steals the sign of Taco Bell because he wasn't given hot sauce with his order.
- As a extension of the above, during 2016-18, he would often even repeat the same lines and over and over again such as "Why?", "I don't even know", "Why would you do that?", "I didn't have to!", "I didn't like that!", "You say Jeffy's a bad boy?", and probably the worst of the bunch, "Oh, si papi!'
- For example: He cries over eating green beans served by Mario when they're supposed to be healthy & good for you since they don't contain bacteria.
- With that said, most of his other recurring jokes aren't all that funny and rather cringeworthy;
- When he was first introduced, there used to an absolutely terrible and nauseating running gag of him crapping his pants and sometimes even going as far as to stick his hands in it and sniff it ("Jeffy's Mistake"). Thankfully, these jokes mostly got phased out of the series as it went on.
- He frequently spanks his diaper, a "joke" that generally serves little purpose other than to pad out runtime.
- Jokes revolving around the pencil stuck in his nose.
- Jeffy is a very clear and obvious disabled stereotype, which has been a major source of his controversy.
- While Logan has stated multiple times that Jeffy is not actually disabled and is supposed to be just "stupid" in a manner like Chef Poo Poo or even Mama Luigi from early SML, this is contradicted several times in the series, notably in "Jeffy's Stupid Home Video" where he is directly called mentally-disabled by Brooklyn Guy, and "Bowser Junior Kinda Goes Camping" where Jeffy says "I'm down... syndrome."
- He is an insanely unintelligent character and has shown a complete lack of common sense.
- A good example of this is the reason he gives for wearing his diaper on the outside of his pants; so it doesn't get dirty, in spite of the fact that the pants are still gonna get dirty and could still give him a rash, something several characters in the series have pointed out.
- He cries frequently over stupid stuff and for no good reason, especially in his older appearances to the point he could even give Caillou a run for his money. In fact, he makes Caillou seem more likeable and mature by comparison.
- Anytime Jeffy does anything bad, he very rarely gets punished, and never learns his lesson, especially when Rosalina is present, as she enables his rowdy and oftentimes deranged behavior and occasionaly even encourages it.
- He has shown to be unable to accept criticism, as whenever someone calls him a bad boy, he'll start crying, wailing, and banging his head onto something.
- Jeffy's already stupid personality was flanderized further in 2017 and 2018, the years where he was arguably at his worst, as most of his jokes, especially his swearing, his idiocy and his tantrums were taken up to eleven. The flanderization combined with him starting to hog the spotlight from the other characters (including Mario, the channel namesake), he was a major factor in the perceived loss of quality as a majority of videos in that period were simply him doing the same tired, predictable jokes ad nauseum with few other characters to break up the monotony.
- It got to the point that Jeffy's frequently shoehorned into videos for little purpose other than driving up views and videos that have little/nothing to do with him are named after him for the same reason (ex: "Jeffy's Paper Shredder").
- In fact, Logan has rehashed Junior videos, but with Jeffy in them, possibly for just pleasing his fanbase.
- Because of this, he's a great example of the worst traits of cash cow characters.
- He has a very ugly character design (although he was originally created by Beacon Art Studios by Eva Gronowitz from Etsy and not by Logan; the same person also made the original Jeffy that is used in Logan's videos and he is still very unappealing to look at).
- While his voice is decent for the most part, he can sound shrill and annoying at times, especially when he is shouting, whining and screeching, and in general he is a waste of Lance's voicing talent.
- He infamously spoiled a number of kids because of his salty behavior as there are reports that kids are misbehaving because they saw Jeffy doing it.
- He almost made a kid attempt suicide all because he did it in one video called "Jeffy's Tantrum!". .
- He was the main reason the original SML channel got demonetized with the infamous "Jeffy's Kids" video, the rough cumulation of Jeffy doing increasingly graphic and disturbing things to get a rise out of his young fans.
- Jeffy fails to have proper character development for numerous reasons.
- Jeffy Titled-videos do not guarantee him as a main character and only a catalyst for a different plot that has little to do with him.
- Despite his popularity, Jeffy never keeps his words or promises to Mario or anyone else. Two examples include Jeffy's Parents (where he promised to be a good boy) and Jeffy and the Beanstalk (where he promised to eat his green beans).
- Jeffy tends to make mostly unfunny jokes such as 'Si Papi' and 'I didn't have to' which are both repetitive and serve almost no purpose to his character.
- He is known to drag out a video with filler, such as Jeffy the Pirate and The Cookie Jar where he spent around 2 minutes with jokes.
- He has been slowly improving as a character since 2019. While still divisive, his humor has gotten less repetitive compared to 2016-18, he is more aware of how asinine he is and some of his worst running gags have either decreased in frequency or been phased out altogether.
- Although still a bad character by all things considered, he is sometimes a likable and charming character:
- He has been the star of some great and memorable videos like "Jeffy's Homework" and "Jeffy The Rapper".
- He has his funny moments, by meme or not.
- He made a tribute to Precious in the end of the video and paid his respects to her/him in Precious Biggest Fan.
- He can be reasonable out of his sheer idiocy, like for example, the surprisingly clever running gag of him bullying his would be bully, Bully Bill.
- In "Jeffy's Bike", Jeffy gives a homeless man his bike out of sympathy, which is very nice of him.
- He is surprisingly good at bowling with a blindfold on as shown in "Jeffy Goes Bowling".
- In fact, some of his other jokes (like the swearing) were fairly amusing at first and only became bad because they were beaten into the ground.
- He is surprisingly very strong as he is able to beat up Bully Bill; he is also strong while he is an infant, as seen in "Baby Jeffy".
- He has some good quotes sometimes, such as "Christmas? It's March, bitch!" in Jeffy's Tantrum or "When something goes bad, there's always a good." in Jeffy and Junior's Big Heist.
- He tends to be funnier when he's with Junior (ex: "Jeffy And Junior Skip School", "Jeffy and Junior's Big Heist", "Jeffy and Junior Go To Prison")
- While it doesn't excuse his actions, it is somewhat understandable why Jeffy is the way he is. His mother Nancy is a horrible influence who beat him and mistreated him horribly, he never got a proper education, he saw his sister get run over in front of him, and he currently lives with a mother who enables all of his bad behavior and a selfish father who is overly strict and barely even cares about him.
- While Jeffy is completely obnoxious with his hatred for green beans, he is right in that Mario never tries to feed him anything else that's healthy.
- Even though he is stupid, his stupidity can sometimes lead to victory, for example, in "The Baby Project", he stupidly tortured a baby girl for the project, after the baby got completely killed and its ashes got taken to school, Jackie Chu gave Jeffy and Junior an A+ for killing the baby because the baby was a girl.
- As mentioned above, Lance mostly does a good job voicing him and he gives the character a fitting voice.
- After Logan moved to SuperBowserLogan due to SuperLuigiLogan getting demonetized, Jeffy isn't swearing frequently like he used to before because Logan tried to make SuperBowserLogan 'family-friendly'.
- In 2021, you could notice that there are not many Jeffy videos releasing a lot, which shows that Jeffy is not becoming very overused nowadays, which could improve SML a bit.
Even though Jeffy is a very controversial character, he has a huge fanbase. However, it should be noted that the fanbase is mostly filled with little kids, young teens and people who are new to watching SML, leading to cult mentality and ultimately creating a white-knight fandom. This might also be the reason why Logan kept overusing Jeffy, simply to pander to his fanbase.