"FAIRY GODPARENTS!'" — Denzel Crocker
This is a good article.
"Don't let your kids watch it!" - Robbie Rotten
This article contains potentially sensitive content that may be discomforting or upsetting to certain users. Reader discretion is advised!
Reason: Dark/crude concepts will be discussed.
NOTE: We are not ableists - many of us Charactapedia users have autism. This is merely a constructive criticism of a character who gives a negative portrayal of mental disabilities.
"You say Jeffy's a bad boy?"— Jeffy
Jeffy Jeffy François, or simply referred to as Jeffy (born 21st August 2004), is one of the main characters of the SML series. He is the adoptive son of Mario and Rosalina. The character was created by Logan Thirtyacre and Elaina Keyes. He first appeared in the SML episode "Mario The Babysitter!".
Why He's Nothing But A Bad Boy
- The most frequent criticism of Jeffy's character is that his portrayal relies on him being uncontrollable, rowdy, destructive, and a purposely obnoxious lout with little depth beyond that, with his repetitive outbursts, generally being considered more tiring and grating to watch than amusing once they lose their novelty. Not helping is that he tends to recycle the same limited pool of jokes; him crying, throwing swearing fits, destroying property for little or sometimes no given reason, annoying Mario, or in the newer videos, unfunny stock catchphrases, to the point where his character becomes repetitive and monotonous. Many specialized examples of criticized moments are:
- "Locked Out!": He wasted his peas, acts like a brat at dinner, and most notoriously, locks Mario out of his house and even gets him arrested because he wouldn't let him eat chocolate cake.
- "Jeffy's Bad Word!": Arguably the worst of the bunch, Jeffy repeated the homophobic F-slur nonstop, accused Mario of rape, and got him hated on a global scale simply because he justifiably spanked him for saying the slur.
- "Jeffy Breaks His Leg": After breaking his leg, he acts lazy and tortures Mario until it heals and then tries to break his leg again at the end of the video.
- "Hurricane Jeffy": He threw lots of furniture and objects around the house and destroyed a lot of household items simply because he wanted to "be a hurricane".
- "Jeffy Gets Hypnotized": He throws the house TV in the lake for absolutely no reason and later goes to throw a boombox.
- "Jeffy's Wi-Fi Problem": He breaks a bunch of dishes mindlessly and drops some vases on the floor.
- "Jeffy's Tantrum": He throws the TV off the balcony and later the couch and throws a massive meltdown because Mario wouldn't let him purchase SpongeBob Moves In!. He even went so far as to actually attempt suicide by hanging himself all because he can't get a single $3 game. (though to be fair it was also Mario's fault because he was being a cheapskate for not buying a simple $2.99 SpongeBob SquarePants game from the app store.) That is how you express anger, right?
- Robot Jeffy: Gets Jeffo to replace him to do his daily antics then causes him go into kill mode by Bully Bill which results to cutting school, breaking the dishes and almost killing Mario, Junior and Cody.
- "Jeffy the Sheep": He nearly gets his dad arrested because he wouldn't get him a PS5.)
- "Among Us": He and Rosalina ejected Mario from the house after they thought he killed Shrek, which foreshadowed them getting what they deserved.
- "Jeffy's 17th Birthday": He steals the sign of Taco Bell because he wasn't given hot sauce with his order.
- "Jeffy Fakes His Death": As the title says, Jeffy faked his own death, with Junior pretending to be a cop to report Jeffy's "death" to get out of being punished after getting bad grades on his report card.
- "Jeffy's Green Bean Allergy": Harming himself by hitting himself with a baseball bat, and mallet, and also cutting his own ear off and claiming to his parents that it was an allergy.
- "Jeffy's Medical Problem": Faking a seizure just so he can skip the math test, in fact he doesn't hide it to his friends and Mario hears the conversation.
- "Jeffy's Cereal Prize": Commits credit card fraud by stealing Mario's credit card and using it on $2,000 worth of Cheerios for Cheerios shoes that he ends up not winning, wasting food in the process. Also, Brooklyn T. Guy (Considering that he is also a police officer) doesn't suspect or punish Jeffy for using Mario's credit card, considering that Jeffy stole Mario's credit card which is not only theft but also credit card fraud for using it in the first place.
- "Jeffy the Sketch Artist": Causing Mario to get falsely arrested several times by drawing him in each of his sketches. Fortunately, he got what he deserved.
- "Breaking Bad" Tied and killed Chef Pee Pee when Chef Pee Pee tried to call the cops on Mario and Jeffy when they were cooking blue rock candy they weren't supposed to. They also locked Rosalina in the closet when she tried to call the cops.
- "The Ancient Egg" Stole Brooklyn Guy's excavator to dig up the X where the egg was buried.
- "Jeffy's Gamer Girl Problem": Causing Mario to get falsely accused by Rosalina for cheating on him with Crystal again while also showing her greedy side.
- Any time Jeffy does anything bad, he barely gets punished for it, and never learns his lesson, especially when Rosalina is present, as she enables his rowdy and oftentimes dangerous behavior and occasionally even encourages it, (with the obvious exception of "Among Us"), or Brooklyn T. Guy wanting something from Jeffy in exchange of him letting Jeffy off with a warning instead of taking Jeffy into jail, hence making him a huge karma houdini.
- As an extension of the above, during 2016-2018, he would often even repeat the same lines and over and over again such as "Why?", "I don't even know.", "Why would you do that?", "I didn't have to!", "I didn't like that!", "You say Jeffy's a bad boy?", and probably the worst of the bunch, "Oh, si papi!', which get stale and repetitive fast.
- With that said, many of his other recurring jokes aren't all that funny and can be considered rather cringe-worthy:
- When he was first introduced, there used to be a nauseating running gag of him soiling himself and sometimes even going as far as to stick his hands in it and sniff it ("Jeffy's Mistake"). Thankfully, these jokes mostly got phased out of the series as it went on.
- He used to frequently spank his private area; a joke that generally serves little purpose other than to pad out the runtime.
- Jokes revolving around the pencil stuck in his nose.
- Sticking his "pee pee" into various objects, most commonly Cheerios boxes.
- He is known to drag out a video with filler, such as "Jeffy the Pirate" and "The Cookie Jar" where around two minutes of the runtime are spent on him repeating jokes. There is also the beginning of "Jeffy Gets Hypnotized", where he makes Mario try to spell "uhh".
- He is/was a very clear and obvious disabled stereotype (at least in his debut year), which has been a major source of his controversy.
- While Logan has stated multiple times that Jeffy is not actually disabled and is supposed to be just "stupid" in a manner like Chef Poo Poo or even Mama Luigi from early SML. This has been contradicted several times in the series, notably in "Jeffy's Stupid Home Video" where he is directly called mentally disabled by Brooklyn Guy, and "Bowser Junior Kinda Goes Camping" where Jeffy says "I'm down... syndrome."
- Though granted, he has become a much less obvious stereotype after his debut.
- He is an insanely unintelligent character who has shown a complete lack of common sense to the point that it's incredibly unfunny and instead is incredibly irritating and frustrating to watch, enough to make the flanderized versions of Patrick Star, Billy, Stimpy and Sheen Estevez look like Dipper Pines (and granduncle Ford Pines), Rick Sanchez, Tony Stark/Iron Man, the Tom Holland's/Marvel Cinematic Universe version of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, Sheldon Cooper and Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation) in comparison to him.
- A good example of his idiocy is the reason he gives for wearing his diaper on the outside of his pants; so, it doesn't get dirty, in spite of the fact that the pants are still going to get dirty and could still give him a rash, something several characters in the series have pointed out.
- He cries frequently over stupid stuff and for no good reason, especially in his older appearances, much to the point he can even give Caillou a run for his money. In fact, he makes Caillou seem more likable and mature in comparison.
- He's shown being unable to accept criticism, as whenever someone calls him a bad boy, he'll start crying, wailing, and banging his head onto something.
- He was also notably flanderized in 2017 and 2018, often cited as his worst years by viewers, as most of his jokes, especially his swearing, his idiocy, and his tantrums were taken up to eleven. The Flanderization combined with him starting to hog the spotlight from the other characters (including Mario, the channel namesake), he was a major factor in the perceived loss of quality as a majority of videos in that period were simply him doing the same tired, predictable jokes ad nauseum with few other characters to break up the monotony.
- It got to the point that Jeffy's frequently shoehorned into videos for little purpose other than driving up views and videos that have little/nothing to do with him are named after him for the same reason (ex: "Jeffy's Paper Shredder").
- In fact, Logan has rehashed Junior videos, but with Jeffy in them, possibly for just pleasing his fanbase. This is because the SML fans almost only watch the channel to see Jeffy.
- Because of this, he's a great example of the worst traits of cash cow characters.
- When Mario calls out for him when he does anything bad, Jeffy, instead of crying, yells "ARE YOU F**KING HIGH?!".
- He has a very ugly yet iconic character design (although he was originally created by Beacon Art Studios by Eva Gronowitz from Etsy and not by Logan; the same person also made the original Jeffy that is used in Logan's videos, and he is still very unappealing to look at).
- While his voice is good for the most part, he can sound shrill and annoying at times, especially when he is shouting, whining, yelling and screeching.
- He fails to have proper character development for a few reasons.
- Jeffy's titled videos do not guarantee him as the main character and only a catalyst for a different plot that has little to do with him.
- He never keeps his words or promises to Mario or anyone else. Two examples include "Jeffy's Parents" (where he promised to be a good boy) and "Jeffy and the Beanstalk" (where he promised to eat his green beans).
- He is insane as he deliberately hurt himself in "Jeffy's Green Bean Allergy!" all over not eating cookies. His parents also straight up tell him this after the fact.
- He is shown to be dishonorable to people's deaths when he disrespects Bone Crusher's death by attacking his corpse in Jeffy The Wrestler.
- He is extremely immature as he never acts his age. As of 2023, he is considered to be a man child as he's 19. He is an adult, but he still acts like a child and has the mentality of a toddler, even his parents mention this to him, but he doesn't want to listen.
- He has a fairly memetic presence considering the amount of memes he was in, so it is pretty hard to take him and in some cases SML/SuperMarioLogan as a whole seriously.
- Compared to Jameson Locke from Halo, both of them are the worst controversial characters who are the main reasons that both franchises are at their downfall.
Good Boy Qualities
- While it doesn't change his reputation on the whole, it is understandable why Jeffy is the way he is. His prostitute mother, Nancy, was very abusive to him, he never got a proper education, he saw his sister get run over, and he currently lives with a mother who enables all of his bad behavior and a father who is quite understandably overly strict and barely even cares about him.
- He and Rosalina got their greatest comeuppance in "Among Us" through their own ways, on Jeffy's side, he got killed by Chef Pee Pee's impostor, and on Rosalina's side, she got ejected out from the house after Bowser Junior, Brooklyn Guy, and Chef Pee Pee's imposter thought she killed Jeffy. And they were extremely well deserved.
- Some of Jeffy's commonly criticized character traits do have reasonable justifications, such as his hatred of green beans. While Jeffy's hatred for green beans is often used for obnoxious and repetitive jokes, he is right in that Mario never tries to feed him anything else that's healthy, despite Jeffy having been shown to like other healthy foods like carrots.
- He was slightly more tolerable in 2016 as he wasn’t as annoying as he would be now, he didn’t curse as often, he did somewhat care for Mario, and some of his jokes were somewhat funny, but not really by much since he still caused some controversy for the channel.
- He has been slowly improving as a character since 2019. While still divisive, his humor has gotten less repetitive compared to 2016-18, he is more self-aware of how asinine he is, and some of his worst running gags have either decreased in frequency or been phased out altogether.
- It is also worth noting that as of 2023, Jeffy's chokehold on the channel seems to be loosening, with him having slightly less videos to himself compared to previous years so far.
- Even though he is stupid, his stupidity can sometimes lead to victory. For example, in "The Baby Project", he stupidly tortured a baby girl for the project. After the baby got completely destroyed and its ashes got taken to school, Jackie Chu gave both Jeffy and Junior an A+ for killing the baby because the baby was a girl.
- Although still a bad character, all things considered, he is several times a likable and charming character:
- He was likable in some SML movies like "Jeffy's Birthday Surprise", "The Candy Salesmen", "Jeffy Ball Z", "Jeffy's 18th Birthday", "Jeffy's Nanny", and "Jeffy Plays Minecraft" for example.
- He made a tribute to Precious at the end of the video and paid his respects to her in Precious Biggest Fan.
- In "Jeffy's Bike", Jeffy gives a homeless man his bike out of sympathy, which is very nice of him.
- In "Jeffy's 18th birthday", as his mother is about to shoot him, Jeffy kills her with a gun and he escaped from the van before it exploded.
- After Logan moved to SuperBowserLogan due to SuperLuigiLogan getting demonetized, Jeffy isn't swearing frequently like he used to before because Logan tried to make SuperBowserLogan 'family-friendly'.
- He has been the star of some great and memorable SML videos like "Jeffy's Homework", "Jeffy The Rapper (and its sequel), & "Jeffy Ball Z 1-4."
- Unlike Cody, he can stand up for himself, most notably when Bully Bill called him a retard in Jeffy gets bullied.
- Although he is nowhere near a good role model, and while on the topic of that video, he teaches many good lessons that kids could learn from (although they still shouldn't copy him) most notably dealing with bullies.
- He has his several funny moments, by meme or not.
- He can be reasonable out of his sheer idiocy, like for example, the surprisingly clever running gag of him bullying his wannabe bully, Bully Bill.
- In fact, some of his other jokes (like the swearing) were fairly amusing at first and only became worse because they were beaten into the ground.
- He tends to be funnier when he's paired with Junior (ex: "Jeffy And Junior Skip School", "Jeffy and Junior's Big Heist", "Jeffy and Junior Go To Prison")
- In Jeffy's bad Christmas, he hilariously throws the christmas tree out of the window.
- In Cody's report card, while a filler in that episode, he throws the desk at Jackie Chu.
- He is surprisingly good at bowling with a blindfold on as shown in "Jeffy Goes Bowling".
- He has some good quotes, such as "Christmas? It's March, bitch!" in "Jeffy's Tantrum" or "When something goes bad, there's always a good." in "Jeffy and Junior's Big Heist".
- He is surprisingly very strong as he is able to beat up Bully Bill; he is also strong while he is an infant, as seen in "Baby Jeffy".
- His design is very fitting for his character considering him not being that well written.
- As mentioned above, Lance Thirtyacre mostly does a good job voicing him and he gives the character a fitting voice (at least when he's not yelling or whining).
- He's extremely talented at drawing.
Jeffy has proven numerous times to have been the most controversial character of SuperMarioLogan. Many fans criticized him, saying that he was an offensive stereotype of mentally disabled people. Logan has responded to these claims by saying that Jeffy is meant to be funny like Chef Poo Poo, not mentally disabled.
After "Jeffy's Bad Word!" and "Locked Out" were released, Jeffy received an immense hatred from older fans, due to him saying the F slur multiple times and being an absolute jerk towards Mario. Despite this, he is also known to have a diehard fanbase, which consists of children and young teenagers, adding even more controversy. After Jeffy's Parents!, fans started to sympathize and like him even more as he had been abused by his mother, Nancy. However, some fans still hate Jeffy.
Jeffy's popularity grew when "Jeffy The Rapper!" and "Jeffy's Fidget Spinner!" were released, which made many young children grow fond of Jeffy and basically worship him. Later, the children constantly demanded more videos featuring him and would dislike any video that does not feature him. This caused many older fans to fuel their hatred for both Jeffy and his fanbase. In "Jeffy's Fun Day!," he received a poor reception.
In December 2017, a seven-year-old boy attempted to hang himself with a noose the way Jeffy almost did in his emo form in the now-deleted "Jeffy's Tantrum!" The mother of the child discovered this and reported in The Sun newspaper after he attempted to do the act. The article can be viewed here. Logan then apologized and assured that his videos are not to be imitated; despite this, YouTube started demonetizing and age-restricting all of his videos. A few months later, some second graders and third graders watched "Jeffy The Rapper!" and were disciplined after mimicking him (mostly by boys).
In late 2018 and early 2019, SML lost many of their viewers due to the fact that Jeffy became incredibly overused and popular with young children, even though his actions and language are inappropriate for their age. Jeffy's overuse came at the expense of other classic characters such as Woody, Shrek, and Mr. Pig, as younger fans began outnumbering the older fans and pressuring Logan to make more Jeffy videos, to the point that videos where Jeffy didn't appear such as Toad's Mistake! (2017) and Attack of the Killer Shrimp! were panned by younger viewers simply because neither had Jeffy in them at all. During the break-up drama in 2020, it was revealed that Chilly Jimenez had pressured Logan to push Jeffy.
Jeffy's popularity is now such that Logan can no longer write out or kill off Jeffy without losing most of his subscribers; worse still is that Logan's address is public knowledge, and him getting rid of Jeffy would put himself and his family and friends in danger of being attacked by Jeffy fans.
However, now that Jeffy has toned down his swearing and acting inappropriately, no one seems to hate him as much and started to enjoy him more. But that's not to say that people no longer hate him, as there are still some people who do, mainly SuperMarioPlush Parody’s because he no longer likes Jeffy; he only likes 2016-17 Jeffy. He even made TikTok videos saying that Jeffy needs to move out or needs to go back to his old personality.