Jar Jar Binks
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Jar Jar Binks is a minor yet recurring character from the Star Wars franchise and its prequel trilogy. He is also a member of the Gungan species. Since his first appearance in the first prequel film, he has received infamy from fans.
Why He Sucks
- He has no reason to exist, but solely to be appealed to children according to George Lucas.
- At first, He doesn't contribute much to the story. All he does is lead Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his apprentice, Obi-Wan to his Gungan city, where they get hold of a means of reaching Padme. Nothing else Jar Jar does after that point ends up being important, other than him making an off-hand comment in front of Padme about the Gungans having a big army, giving her an idea how to retake Naboo.
- He is extremely annoying and his antics gets old very quickly as an attempt to be a comic relief in a Star Wars film.
- He barely helps the heroes. In fact, he is so unhelpful that he actually gives then-Chancellor Palpatine, the villain, even more power than he already had.
- According to George Lucas, he stated that this was because he wanted to give the people that already hated Jar Jar one final thing to hate him for.
- Just when you think he might actually turn himself around by leading a Gungan unit into battle against the Trade Federation, he completely fails at that as well, and only avoids being killed along with his unit because Anakin destroys the droid control ship just in the nick of time.
- His fish-like alien design is really ugly, even for alien-like Star Wars standards.
- For some reason, he becomes the representative of his race and part of the Galactic Council.
- His name sounds extremely laughable.
- He barely even attempts to be a fighter.
- He is an offensive Afro-Caribbean stereotype.
- Although his design is ugly, it still has a lot of effort to it.
- Thankfully he becomes less important in the movies over time, so much that in Revenge of the Sith he only makes a cameo appearance and never does anything stupid.
- He has a few funny moments. Like his head going numb from getting it caught in an electrical beam.
- At least he is actually useful in 2008's Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated show since he helped save Anakin and Obi-Wan from pirates and save Padme from Nute Gunray.
- Instead he was hated by lots of fans, but none of them didn't actually show to hate for good reason.
- Jar Jar has received so much hate that the actor who portrayed him has been considering suicide.
- Some people have claimed that he may be a stereotype of Jamaican people, which led to controversy.
- He was supposed to be the main villain of the Prequel Trilogy, but those plans were scrapped because of the character's backlash and would have been very disappointing and a joke.
- This has still become an in-joke in the Star Wars fandom, with fans calling him “Darth Jar Jar”.