Jump to navigation Jump to search
Why She Sucks
- Jailbreak is a discounted rip-off of Wyldstyle from The Lego Movie and Olivia "Sombra" Colomar from Overwatch both in personality and character design because all three characters have purple hair and are notorious hackers. Also both Wyldstyle and Jailbreak's real names start with the letter L: Wyldstyle's real name is Lucille/Lucy and Jailbreak's real name is Linda.
- She gets no character development and has very flat characterization throughout the movie other than revealing that she was formerly a princess. (Well, in hindsight every character in The Emoji Movie has this same problem.)
- Her relationship with Gene feels forced, bland and dull.
- Basically, she is a Mary Sue with no personality other than being a strong, independent female character, who mostly exists to promote girl-power.
- Speaking of girl-power, she spends the entire film complaining about how sexist she perceives the society she lives in to be, but then changes back to her former self in the end of the movie, (the princess emoji) which as mentioned above she assumed as sexist, hereby making her look like a complete hypocrite.
- Not only that, her claim of female emojis being only princesses and brides falls flat on its face when considering Mary Meh (Gene's mother) and Smiler are both females that aren't princesses or brides. In fact, the latter was even the original emoji and founder! There no reason Jailbreak shouldn't be able to go as a hacker.
- She is also an example of a satellite love interest, which is to say a love interest of the main character who is underdeveloped.
- She, along with her friends, didn't show any mercy for Akiko Glitter (from Just Dance) and other characters that were deleted from existence and was responsible for all the destruction.
- Her design is somewhat decent, like every Emoji Movie character, despite it being unoriginal.
- At least she apologized to Gene for what happened in the Cloud.
- Jailbreak was originally set to be voiced by Ilana Glazer in the film, but for unknown reasons, she was replaced by Anna Farris for the role.