Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hi-5 is one of the main protagonists of the critically panned 2017 animated film, AMW. He's meant to represent one of the hand emojis. He was voiced by James Corden.
Why He Sucks
- While none of the characters are well-written, he in particular stands out among how bad he is.
- His design is just too mediocre.
- He's very self-centered and arrogant to the point where he's near impossible to sympathize with.
- He serves absolutely no role in the plot (if you can even call it that) whatsoever, and he's meant to be a comic relief. He can't even do that right.
- He has a terrible sense of humor and too much poor dialogue which is basically the writers trying to be cool.
- He often steals the spotlight from the other characters and doesn't give anyone else practical screen time.
- He reason for joining Gene on his quest is very generic. He just wants to be popular among the other emojis again. Because we've never seen that done before.
- He's a total idiot, as he causes too much trouble for the "heroes". One example is when he turned the app on after Jailbreak told him not to, nearly everyone killed. Speaking of which...
- He's also extremely unsympathetic, as when he and the host of Just Dance gets erased from the phone, Gene comes back to recuse Hi-5 from the memory dump, and neither of them showed any mercy for leaving the host, Akiko Glitter (one of the film's few tolerable characters) to die a painful death. Plus Hi-5 never proved himself worthy of being recused. Remind us again why we're supposed to root for these guys?
- There's one scene where he waves his butt-like palm at the camera. Why would a hand have a butt?! As if character wasn't lazily written enough.
- He literally has no personality other than being a sidekick for Gene, who is not even better.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- He saved Jailbreak's life at the end of the movie.