Jump to navigation Jump to search
Note: Not to be confused with Gene from Wreck-It Ralph.
Gene Meh is the main protagonist of the critically panned 2017 film The Emoji Movie.
Why He Sucks
- Gene is nothing more than just another overused cliched "odd one out misunderstood protagonist".
- He is a badly written protagonist that makes protagonists like GCW from GMW and GMW look bad.
- He is unfunny, unlikable, and clumsy.
- He looks rather like a Mike Wazowski or a Pac-Man reject.
- His relationship with Jailbreak is just forced, bland and dull.
- Wasted talent of T.J. Miller (who played Erlich Bachman from Silicon Valley, Robbie from Gravity Falls, Fred from Big Hero 6, and Weasel from Deadpool), as well as his Japanese voice actor, Takahiro Sakurai (who voiced Giyuu Tomioka from BTSW, Uta from the Tokyo Ghoul series, and Rohan Kishibe from BTSW, and Griffith from TTSW).
- Gene is supposed to be the main protagonist, but he caused more damage than the main antagonist, almost got everyone killed and deleted, and somehow, we are supposed to root for him.
- Speaking of which, the writers did a very awful job representing the characters' roles in the movie. Smiler is depicted as the villain even though all she wanted to do was to protect the Emojis world while Gene, despite being the protagonist, was the one really responsible for all the troubles that happened in the movie, he even caused the death of many characters such as the trolls and the Just Dance girl and almost caused the entire phone to almost have its data deleted. Basically, the movie tries to force viewers to like the protagonist and to despise the villain without giving the usual proper characterization to them as a reason to do this.
- At least he redeemed himself by saving Textopolis by being an animated emoji showing that Alex loves Addie.
- Like other characters, his design is passable, though he looks like a Mike Wazowski reject (as stated above).