Dave (Total Drama Pahkitew Island, episodes 7-9, 13)
Dave is one of the contestants in Total Drama: Pahkitew Island. While he was decent in the first 5 episodes, and to a lesser extent, episode 6 despite it indirectly leading to his demise, he became unfortunately flanderized starting at technically episode 7.
Why He (Intentionally?) Isn't the Normal Guy Anymore
- At the beginning, while he was pretty much snarky, he still had a lot of common sense and was one of the sane characters that season, and plus while he did have a crush on Sky, it wasn't really obsessive. However, in these episodes, he became much wimpier and became only obsessed with Sky, and his only personality trait was obsessing over Sky, and went insane in the final episode (see below).
- His cries can get really annoying to listen to.
- His voice (while still good) can also get pretty obnoxious too (especially when he cries).
- In "This Is The Pits", (the episode where his flanderization practically started), he cried when Sky was moved to a different team. You can still talk to Sky!
- His flanderization got worse in "Hurl and Go Seek". He started acting extremely cocky to Sky when he placed 2nd in the pre-challenge, causing her to yell at Dave in front of everyone.
- He became even more obnoxious in the same episode as well, where he starts acting too desperate for Sky, causing him and Sky to lose the actual challenge.
- He became too desperate to the point of voting himself off at the end of the episode, just because Sky rejected him... bruh, what is wrong with you?... You didn't need to do that.
- In the finale he became even worse, where his wimpy personality is up to 100%!
- When he found out Sky had a boyfriend, instead of simply talking to her like a civilized person, he straight up tries to hurt Sky! Sky tried to tell him that she was going to break up with the boyfriend, but he just didn't care.
- He could've simply left Sky alone, if he did then possibly he would've been her boyfriend, but no, he kept pestering Sky over and over again to the point of snapping and yelling at him, though her actions weren't any better either.
- He eventually lost his sanity just because Sky had a boyfriend... bruh. (although it was sorta understandable since Sky only tried to tell him the "but" once in episode 5 and didn't try to tell him more than that one time, but still.)
- Sky's infamous line in the last episode "He was brighter before, wasn't he?" doesn't really help, possibly meaning that the writers ruined Dave ON PURPOSE!
- He was much better and more likable in the first 5, and 6 to a lesser extent, episodes of "Pahkitew Island".
- He can be seen as unintentionally sympathetic to some people.
- His design is still pretty good.
- Though obnoxious at times, Daniel DeSanto still does a good job voicing him.
- Regarding to WHItNGA#5, he was at least trying to follow Shawn's advice on how to win Sky back, although he was taking it a bit too far.
- To be fair, him snapping at Sky in the finale was somewhat understandable because she didn't try to tell him the "but" anymore than once, and the fact that she was using his feelings in the finale, but there was no need for him to try to hurt her.
- However, while Sky was wrong to use his feelings, she and Dave had clearly never met prior to So, Uh, This is My Team? and as she either didn't like him as much as he liked her or she was unsure about her feelings (probably mostly the latter), she had no obligation to tell him about her personal life.
- He did stop Sky from stepping on that horn that could've got her trapped in episode 8.
- It has been announced that Total Drama will be getting two new seasons for HBO Max and Cartoon Network. If those seasons bring back old characters in addition to new ones, maybe they can bring back Dave and revert him back to his original characterization and/or give him more development.