"Coconut Fred. He's awake, and he sounds dangerously friendly!"— Wedgie, Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island
"Yay, me! No, not yay you, f*ck you!"— Mr. Enter
Coconut Fred is the titular and main character of the infamous short-lived Kids' WB TV series, Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island. He's a cheerful and hyperactive coconut who can think just about anything into existence. He is not only considered to be the worst character in the show but also a shameless horrid copy of SpongeBob SquarePants.
He was voiced by Rob Paulsen.
Why He's a Shameful SpongeBob Rip-Off
- He is monopathic (meaning that he can only feel one emotion, which is happiness).
- He does not care enough about any resident on his Fruit Salad Island (yes, he is the one who created it). In fact, he is a big nuisance to pretty much everyone on the island. This is also because of his nonexistent character development.
- His design looks creepy and somewhat lazy.
- He is basically a very bad rip-off of SpongeBob SquarePants, except more hyperactive, destructive, and with absolutely none of his likability or charm; even his name is extremely unoriginal as it sounds similar to SpongeBob's first name. This is also a reason why this show is called a "SpongeBob rip-off".
- He is a Gary Stu who's always happy no matter what. Even many characters who are similar to him are polypathic (can feel multiple emotions).
- He is also narcissistic, as he believes that he is the best person on the island when, in reality, almost everyone finds him obnoxious.
- Occasionally, his friends, particularly Bingo, can get irritated by his antics at times.
- He is incredibly sadistic, as he practically takes pleasure in torturing everyone that lives on the island but never gets punished for his actions, making him a Karma Houdini (and an Idiot Houdini, because of his stupidity).
- Unlike SpongeBob, who has his moments of maturity, Fred is extremely immature ALL THE TIME, so much to the point that he even makes the worst version of SpongeBob look like a mature adult in comparison. He constantly acts like a hyperactive toddler when he should be acting like the adult that he is.
- Considering the fact that he created the Fruit Salad Island in the first place, this makes him a horribly neglectful manchild.
- He is quite imaginative and comes up with crazy yet enjoyable misadventures.
- Despite his boisterous antics, Fred is pretty much an easygoing person and is friendly to everyone around him.
- Rob Paulsen hated being his voice actor. He even admitted him being the worst character behind the infamous Bubsy who he also voiced. He does even better jobs voicing better characters such as, Yakko, Pinky, Carl Wheezer, Peck the Rooster, PJ, and Pig from Back at the Barnyard.
- Coconut Fred appears as a freeplay opponent in the Friday Night Funkin' mod, Mistful Crimson Morning, which is a SpongeBob themed FNF mod. He's likely in the mod due to him being considered a rip-off of SpongeBob. Heck, his song is called "Plagerize".