"Coconut Fred. He's awake, and he sounds dangerously friendly!"— Wedgie, Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island
Coconut Fred is the titular and main character of the infamous short-lived Kids' WB TV series Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island. He's a cheerful and hyperactive coconut who can think just about anything into existence. He is not only considered to be the worst character in the show but also a shameless horrid copy of SpongeBob SquarePants from the series of the same name. He was voiced by Rob Paulsen.
Why He's "Dangerously Friendly" (and Not in a Good Way)
- He is basically a very bad and blatant rip-off of SpongeBob SquarePants, except more hyperactive, destructive, and with absolutely none of his likability or charm, so much to the point that it's surprising that Nickelodeon hasn't sued him and Warner Bros. yet for shameless copyright infringement.
- He is way too much of a SpongeBob rip-off that even his character design is feels like literally a "reversed" clone of SpongeBob's character design (albeit in a lazy and badly-unoriginal way), most notably having no front teeth in his mouth in contrast to SpongeBob having only two front teeth in his mouth and having similar-looking arms and leg designs as well.
- Heck, he even has an annoying high-pitched voice similar to that of SpongeBob as well.
- Even his name is extremely unoriginal as it sounds similar to SpongeBob's first name. This is also a reason why this show is called a "SpongeBob rip-off" by most people.
- In fact, the whole reason why he is written that way is all due to the part of Warner Bros. Animation cashing-in on the popularity of Nickelodeon's SpongeBob SquarePants and the zany-wacky, frenetic, hyperactive and random nature of it's titular protagonist, all while failing to actually understand why the SpongeBob SquarePants character as a whole worked so well.
- On the topic of WHDF #1, his design looks creepy and somewhat lazy, but his design in the pilot episode is even worse.
- He is monopathic (meaning that he can only feel one emotion, which is happiness). Even his friends are polypathic (can feel multiple emotions).
- His catchphrase "Yay me!" is flat-out annoying and cringe-worthy.
- He does not care enough about any resident on his Fruit Salad Island (because he is the one who created it). In fact, he is a big nuisance to pretty much everyone on the island. This is also because of his nonexistent character development.
- His voice is just plain horrible and ear-grating to listen to, as he sounds more annoying than Bubsy (who is also voiced by Rob Paulsen). And to add salt to the wound, he never shuts up every minute he's onscreen.
- On the topic of WHDF #1, his voice even sounds like a bad imitation of SpongeBob's voice as well.
- He is a Gary Stu who's always happy no matter what. Even many characters who are similar to him are polypathic (can feel multiple emotions).
- He is also narcissistic, as he believes that he is the best person on the island when, in reality, almost everyone finds him obnoxious.
- Occasionally, his friends, particularly Bingo, can get irritated by his antics at times.
- He is incredibly sadistic, as he practically takes pleasure in torturing everyone that lives on the island but never gets punished for his actions, making him a Karma Houdini (and an Idiot Houdini because of his stupidity).
- Like everything in the show, he's mediocrely animated as the flash animation tries too hard to copy the SpongeBob SquarePants art style but fails.
- Unlike SpongeBob, who has his rare moments of maturity admittedly, Fred is extremely immature all the time, so much even to the point that he shockingly even makes the worst version of SpongeBob look like a mature adult in comparison. He constantly acts like a hyperactive toddler when he should be acting like the adult that he is.
- Considering the fact that he created the Fruit Salad Island in the first place, this makes him a horribly neglectful man-child.
- He is quite imaginative and comes up with crazy yet enjoyable misadventures.
- Despite his boisterous antics, Fred is pretty much an easygoing person and is friendly to everyone around him.
- Sometimes he does good deeds like protecting Bingo.
- He is capable of having some weaknesses like being sick.
- He can be likable at times, especially in the good episodes.
- Contrary to popular belief, Rob Paulsen did not hate voicing Fred, as he said to a fan at San Diego Comic-Con that it was just a gig he got paid for, and by no means was he a fan but he was never angry about it. Additionally, in a QnA section of the new release of "Voice Lessons", he says he also didn't have any problem with Bubsy.
- Coconut Fred appears as a freeplay opponent in the Friday Night Funkin' mod, Mistful Crimson Morning, which is a SpongeBob SquarePants themed Friday Night Funkin' mod. He's likely in the mod due to him being considered a rip-off of SpongeBob, and his song is called "Plagiarize" to boot.