Chris McLean (Total Drama: Seasons 4-5b)
Chris McLean is one of the two hosts of "Total Drama", with the other being Don. He was a decent character in the first three seasons, but his characterization derailed since Revenge of the Island where he would be portrayed as a sociopathic sadist.
Why He Sucked
- This page covers the fourth and both parts of the fifth season of Total Drama. So, do not add any loathsome moments of Chris' from the previous seasons (Island-World Tour).
- He gave the Mutant Maggots the win for blowing up the winner's cabin, even though the Toxic Rats made it to the campgrounds first.
- He revealed embarrassing secrets of Sam, Brick, and B(everly). If neither of the other contestants fessed up to their secrets, then they would be fed to Fang. Whoever told the truth would be electrocuted.
- He made Dakota one of his interns to the extent that she became Dakota-Zoid after she was exposed to toxic chemicals.
- Just as Anne Maria was about to change her mind on not quitting the season, he hurled her and Brick off the island.
- Even though Scott had it coming for his actions, he made Scott ride the Hurl of Shame with Fang. This rendered Scott immobile for the rest of the season until he recovers in All-Stars.
- He sicced his mutant animals on the eliminated contestants.
- In the final scene of the fourth season, he detonated the bomb that was supposed to blast Chef Hatchet and the 13 contestants from that season. However, the joke was on him as the bomb was placed under the dock, therefore blowing him off the dock and landing him in prison for dumping toxic waste on Camp Wawanakwa. Despite his arrest, the producers chose him to host the next seasons.
- He placed Gwen on the Villainous Vultures for being a "boyfriend stealer", despite her good behavior in the past.
- He constantly calls Gwen evil for accidentally hurting Courtney.
- He had implied sex with Larry as one of their babies had a head that looks like Chris'. After seeing it, he whistles as if nothing happened.
- He rigged the "Wheel of Misfortune" in "Suckers Punched" just so everyone (except for Zoey, who was exempt from the challenge, and Mike and Cameron, who swapped fears) can be pitted with their fears. Even Gwen and Courtney were paired with each other, despite the fact that they forgive each other for the events of season 3.
- In order to stir up drama between Courtney and Gwen, Chef and Chris, with some assistance from the producers, showed clips of Duncan and Gwen's kissing.
- He called the police on Duncan for blowing up Chris' mansion, although this is understandable as Duncan blew up his mansion.
- He sent Gwen to Boney Island just for refusing to spend another night with him in the mansion.
- According to him, his prison sentence made the challenges even more dangerous.
- He changed the rules in "Sundae, Muddy Sundae", even though Courtney was about to win.
- He disqualified Gwen for destroying his portrait.
- He let Lightning, Jo, Scott, Courtney, Duncan, Sierra, Lindsay, and Sam float into the sun. However, Fresh TV confirmed that they were okay.
- He also allowed Chef to sink Camp Wawanakwa, a small island, using a franking machine.
- He refused to let Samey pronounce her name as "Sammy".
- When Samey eliminated her sister Amy, he further tests Samey (as Amy) hindering any chance that Samey has on being her own woman.
- Despite having a season's worth of singing in the past, he refused to let Ella sing.
- He even threatened to disqualify Ella if she did. This was successful when Sugar goaded her into singing in order to release Dave from the bear's grasp.
- He staged Topher's elimination by posing as one of the producers.
- While some fans argue that Topher had it coming for trying to steal his job, even though he wasn't a very nice person after all, this move would negatively impact his career in real life.
- At the merge, he fed the final 7 some Juggy Chunks, which consisted of expired meat and mayonnaise from the 1970s.
- When Scarlett became evil, he refused to rescue the contestants, caring more about his coffee machine. This is extremely hypocritical because in "Masters of Disasters", he states if the contestants die, he will lose his paycheck.
- After Scarlett was eliminated, he eliminated Max just for boasting about being evil.
- In the final episode of Total Drama before the show went into spin-offs, he rigged the finalist helper selection so that Shawn gets Jasmine, and Sky (after two tries) gets Dave. He does this just to show Shawn's confessionals to Jasmine saying that he didn't agree to share the money with her in the first place, and some of Sky's audition tape to Dave so he can learn about Sky's boyfriend Keith. This move didn't sit too well for Dave, who wanted to try and hurt Shawn and Sky as revenge. Ultimately, Dave wanted to hurt Sky even more.
- He ended Total Drama unpunished for what he did to Shawn, Jasmine, Sky, and Dave.
- Chris McLean from the first three seasons he was more tolerable. He’s also tolerable when he appeared in the Total DramaRama episode, "Broken Back, Kotter", and while retaining his sadistic personality, it is notably toned down.
- As explained on the "Forbidden Pages" on the Loathsome Characters Wiki's main page, some of Chris' moments are justified.
- The episode where he gets kidnapped by Feral Ezekiel could be enjoyable for some, even considering Chris was not liked by the contestants.
- He did host the first round of Skatoony, which was pretty good.
- In response to WHS#15, he refused to let his interns eat the tainted sundae that Courtney made.
- He does not host The Ridonculous Race.
- Christian Potenza still does a great job voicing him.
- Regarding to WHS#12, at least he had a reason to call the police on Duncan for blowing up Chris' mansion, although he still had it coming for his behavior.
- He does make a small cameo in The Ridonculous Race episode, "A Million Ways to Lose a Million Dollars", only for a few seconds, which was ok.
- Two more seasons of Total Drama are slated to air in HBO Max and Cartoon Network, so maybe Chris could be rewritten into the decent host he was in the first three seasons and have his flanderization reverted.
- One of his best and funniest quotes was "WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?!" in Total Drama All-Stars' Evil Dread episode.
- Chris McLean is voiced by Christian Potenza, who voiced Jude in 6teen and Total DramaRama.
- Even though Chris did not host The Ridonculous Race finale, he was seen in the season finale ("A Million Ways to Lose a Million Dollars") where he is reading a newspaper. He can be seen when the Police Cadets are driving by after one of the commercial breaks.
- Chris is contrasted to Don (the host of The Ridonculous Race).
- While Don is portrayed as a by-the-book host, Chris is willing to change the rules and eliminate who he wants.
- While Don's challenges are life-threatening, they are not as extreme as Chris'.
- Chris frequently kills his interns through his own means, while Don lost one of his in a mishap.
- For the most part, Chris is willing to allow cheating (one example was in "The Princess Pride", when he didn't care that Duncan cheated in the bridge challenge by peeking a little), Don would not hesitate to punish cheating contestants (or any contestants who break the rules).
- One of the possible reasons why Chris was not in Total DramaRama was because of his past behavior in the original series.
- Beth, Chris, Duncan, Izzy, Lindsay, and Mike have been arrested at one point by the police.
- From those six, Chris and Duncan are the only characters seen wearing orange prison suits.