Chilly Willy is a cartoon character created by director Paul Smith for the Walter Lantz studio in 1953, and developed further by Tex Avery in the two subsequent films following Smith's debut entry. He soon became the second most popular Walter Lantz/Universal character, behind Woody Woodpecker.
Why He's Not Chilly Anymore
NOTE: This only applies to his character in the 2018 web series, as he was flanderized. His original counterpart is fine.
- FIRST AND FOREMOST, he has been flanderized badly from a troublesome but innocent and cute penguin into a selfish psychopath who cares only for himself and makes other characters, including Woody Woodpecker suffer.
- His existence in the series doesn't make any sense, even by Woody Woodpecker standards, since his purpose wasn't meant to be a supporting character in the Woody Woodpecker cartoons, but rather the protagonist in his own cartoons. In the web series, he lives in a forest instead of a cold polar region, which makes no sense considering he's a penguin and their habitats are supposed to be in a cold polar region rather than a forest.
- Not only that, his pairings with Woody Woodpecker in this series is also horribly mismatched, similar in vein to the infamous and notorious Daffy Duck/Speedy Gonzales pairings of the DePatie-Freleng/Format Films/Seven-Arts eras of Looney Tunes, since not only are the two depicted living in the forest most of the time, yet the two are depicted as complete sworn enemies with Chilly Willy serving as the antagonist to Woody Woodpecker in numerous episodes for various reasons as listed below.
- In the episode, "Baby It's Cold Inside", he plays an antagonistic role, as he tries to steal Winnie from Woody and makes Winnie turn against her boyfriend. At the end of the episode, he wins, and gives a sadistic laugh whilst looking at Woody.
- Based on the episode mentioned above, he can also be considered a Gary Stu.
- In the episode "Chilly Grilly", he steals Woody's food, which causes Woody to incriminate his friend Wally for it. For most of the episode, Chilly just eats Woody's food while Woody torments Wally. At the end of the episode, just as it seems that he finally appears to receive karma, he ends up winning all the food while Woody and Wally have a bad ending (although Woody did kinda deserve karma too).
- He is also shown to be rather disgusting at times, like when he eats and burps, showing his disrespectful manners.
- He was pointlessly shoehorned in the episode "The Bird and the Bees" and served no purpose in the plot at all.
- He never receives any karma for his actions, with the exception of "The Bird and the Bees".
- Because of all these reasons, he has become the most hated character in the entire show, even surpassing the 2017 version of Woody.
- His character in this show is basically Jerry Mouse from Tom and Jerry, but without any of his likable traits.
- Like Bendy from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, he makes an evil and downright cruel grin (like as pictured on the page) which is really creepy, and already adds to his cruel and mean-spirited nature.
- He at least, still maintains his old characteristic of being mute and eating a lot, despite his flanderization.
- His design is still cute, and stays faithful to his design from the original Woody Woodpecker shorts.
- He was a much more likable and tolerable character in the Woody Woodpecker shorts prior to his flanderization in the 2018 web series.
- At least he got his comeuppance in "The Bird and the Bees".