Caterina Valentine (often shortened to Cat Valentine, born June 26, 1995) is a main character in the Nickelodeon live-action sitcom Victorious and one of the two title characters in its spin-off Sam & Cat. She was portrayed by Ariana Grande.
Sadly, she was flanderized as the seasons of Victorious went on, and reached peak flanderization in Sam & Cat.
- She has gone from an air-headed, but soft-hearted girl to an annoying and whiny idiot.
- For example, her voice is much more high-pitched and irritating than in the earlier seasons of Victorious.
- She can be perceived as irritating and intolerable.
- She can be aggravating because she rarely acts her age.
- She often makes nonsensical jokes.
- While she is very friendly, her sensitivity, energy, and unusual thought processes make her somewhat difficult to be around without getting annoyed.
- And then there were some moments in Victorious and Sam & Cat where her character downright sucked:
- She was very annoying in "SecretSafe". The stupid throbbing nose joke, and the "pee can"...Probably annoyed the heck out of the people filming.
- She was just unlikable in "YayDay", with the terrible puns and irritating excitement.
- She downright sucked in "Brain Squeezers" along with Tori, Jade, and the rest of the cast.
- She gets treated very poorly, and her character gets a weak kind of impression. It's also may be due to her emotional state from being around her brothers. She's usually pushed around and bullied by people. Nobody seems to understand what's happened to her, and people like Tori, Jade, and later Sam, even take advantage of this. And as a result, this character becomes unbearable to watch.
- While she had one of the main roles in Victorious, she was given less performances than the rest of the cast.
- She doesn't get any vocals at all in Sam & Cat except for a 5-minute rap in #Babysitterwar,
- She only gets a single song throughout seasons 3 and 4 of Victorious. And it's not even a solo!
- Just like with "Put Your Hearts Up", Ariana doesn't seem to be too proud of this part of her past.
- At the time of the shows' running, mental health and neurodivergency was just never talked about, it was extremely taboo. Therefore, Cat was just seen as stupid and dumb. The other characters (Andre, Beck, Jade, Tori, Trina, and Sam) treated her as such and she was just there for a lousy comedic effect.
- Some things about her are still the same;
- She's still a caring person.
- She's still entertaining to watch at times.
- Unlike Sam and Jade, she's not a mean-spirited bully.
- She can still be a badass when it comes to helping out her friends.
- Her new costumes, makeup, weight loss, and plastic surgery actually improved her cosmetic appearance later in Sam & Cat.
- She does have her funny moments.
- She was a better character in the first 2 seasons of Victorious and she was considered tolerable in the first few episodes of Sam and Cat.
- She does earn a few "victories" in Sam & Cat.
- She got karma in the final episode of Sam & Cat, "#GettinWiggy", where she ripped off a young boy's hair thus sending him to the hospital and she got arrested for it. But that still doesn't remove her from the Karma Houdini party or the Idiot Houdini party.
- She actually shows some more signs of intelligence and is (slightly) less stupid in later episodes, like for example in "#Twinfection", she manages to prank Sam using twins and she is not so easily fooled when Sam tries to prank her back with her twin. Or in "MyPoober" when she actually manages to convince this young girl called Ellie to hand over her teddy bear, Poober, which she was obsessed with.
- Unlike Sam, Tori and Jade, Cat is still very sweet and forgiving (although Tori is forgiving).
- After her Nickelodeon shows ended, Ariana Grande, the actress who played Cat, went to focus more on her singing career.