Carl (Talking Tom & Friends)
Carl (better known as the CEO) is the main antagonist in Talking Tom & Friends. He was originally a minor character who was considered on the good side (though could often be annoying and selfish), but when he turned out to be evil in "Forgotten Kiss," he was remade as an antagonist.
Why He Sucks
- He is often selfish and takes things too seriously, such as in "Funny Robot Galileo," where Ben makes a joke about his goldfish, making him remember his late pet goldfish, and then kick Tom and his friends out of the building.
- As of season 2, he randomly turns out to be "evil" for no clear reason.
- In addition to this, despite being just "evil" rather than actually having a reason to specifically hate Tom and his friends, he is only rude to Tom and his friends, making it look like the writing team forgot that he is supposed to be completely evil rather than just an enemy of them.
- Most of the episodes that portray him now always have to involve him trying to ruin Tom and Ben's career for whatever reason.
- Flanderization: Nowadays, his character is nothing more than just a stereotype of an evil, greedy businessman, which is a stereotype that has already been done to death in other cartoons, and Carl doesn't really bring anything new to the table.
- It also seems like the writers were trying way too hard to make him like Mr. Burns from The Simpsons or Mr. Krabs from SpongeBob SquarePants, but unlike those two characters, which are actually funny and redeemable stereotypes of greedy businessmen (with the exception of Mr. Krabs' counterpart in season 6-10), Carl is just an unfunny version of those characters with zero empathy towards anyone but himself.
- He said that Tom shouldn't be trusted because of his friends, which is an extremely unfair thing to do; your friends do not hint what your personality is at all.
- Furthermore, his reasons for not trusting his friends are stupid, as his reasons for Ben, Hank and Ginger are just downright random whereas he doesn't trust Angela because she's a singer but she rides scooters, which is just dumb because everyone has the right to have two dream jobs.
- Because of all of these qualities, it can be hard to take him seriously as a villain despite his actions.
- He has done a lot of illegal activities and he surprisingly gets away with nearly all of them too:
- He stole Angela's song to become mayor and end Tom and Ben Enterprises for whatever reason.
- He stole Tom's guide on being a good mayor just so he could win the debate.
- His voice can be extremely irritating at times.
- While this is not entirely his fault, his nephew Darren while not as bad as Carl but he is just as much of a hateable, annoying jerk who is always mean-spirited and one-sided to Ginger and his friends for no apparent reason. This means that Carl seems like he wanted Darren to be just Carl when he eventually grows up, kind of a bad influence wouldn't you say?
- And no, "his uncle hates the gang" is not actually a reason, the gang and the CEO were not enemies until the episode "Forgotten Kiss", so their rivalry is still unexplained.
- He can have a few funny moments at times.
- He gets his fair comeuppance at times, like when he confessed his illegal activities to the town and he lost the mayor debate in "Vote for Tom!"