Benjamin "Ben" Kirby Tennyson, commonly known as Ben 10, is a fictional character and title protagonist of the Ben 10 franchise. A normal initially ten-year-old kid until he finds the Omnitrix, a powerful watch-like device that allows him to turn into initially ten different aliens.
Sadly, he was flanderized a bit in the 2016 reboot but managed to get slightly better over time, but regained his old persona back in season 5. This article will only focus on his character in seasons 1-4 of said series.
Why He Wasn't Going Hero (Bad Qualities)
Note: This only applies to his character as depicted in seasons 1-4 of the 2016 reboot.
- Like the Teen Titans Go! version of Beast Boy, he became a goofy, yet overall off the wall annoying protagonist.
- He often mistreats his cousin Gwen and his grandpa Max for no reason.
- Most of his fourth wall breaks are unfunny.
- He will often cheat to get his way, for example when Gwen and Ben were doing a mud run, the scene where Ben had to climb over a wall but couldn't, he uses Four Arms to break the wall to walk through, another scene in the same episode where he uses Heatblast to blast fire on the mud causing it to become solid, for him just to walk over on.
- He toned down on being serious.
- He can also be really whiny and a bit of a crybaby at times, especially when he wants something and doesn't get it.
- He is sometimes destructive, and tends to destroy things by turning into one of his aliens (though this is mostly unintentional but still.)
- His expressions are most of the time very odd.
- He usually never listens to any advice from Gwen, much like Johnny from the latter seasons of Johnny Test.
- He never credits Gwen for any of her ideas she gives him, as evident to how he treated her in the episode "Cirque-Us".
- He is a constant troublemaker for those around him, and yes while he was also like this in the original it was at least toned down, but is off the wall annoyance in this show.
- Due to how spoiled Ben tends to be in these seasons, he can come off as a Gary-Stu a majority of the time.
- His new redesign he was given in the show, is overall good looking and is somewhat faithful to the original four shows.
- He still can be likable in these Seasons, though to a certain extent.
- Tara Strong still does a good job at voicing him.
- At least he doesn't argue with Gwen a lot, unlike in the original series where they always argued together.
- Some of his jokes are funny at times.
- At times, he can be serious.
- He still has some heartwarming moments with his cousin and grandpa.
- And he still cares for his family and friends, and hates seeing them in danger.
- Some of his aliens do look cool such as Four Arms, XLR8, Shockrock, Rath, Jetray, Humungousaur, Diamondhead, Waybig, Goop and Cannonbolt.
- He did improve his character a bit after season 1, but massively improved in Ben 10 Versus the Universe: The Movie and the video game Ben 10: Power Trip. In Season 5, he is a great hero who acts more like his classic series counterpart.
- His Omnitrix changes in each season, which is quite nice.
- *And his alien line up actually looks really good, especially in later episodes.
- With his transformations being very top-notched.
- He does get his comeuppances for most of his actions, and usually learns from his mistakes. In "Rath of Con" for example, he actually learns in the end that he has to control his alien, and he does get grounded for his destruction in "The Night Ben Tennyson Came To Town"