Ben’s Parents (Grounded)
NOTE: This page only applies to their appearance in Grounded. their other appearances are fine.
Carl and Sandra Tennyson, are two characters in the Ben 10 franchise and are Ben’s Parents.
While they are not this way in other episodes of Alien Force and its sequels, they were loathsome in the Ben 10: Alien Force episode “Grounded” due to the massive flanderization.
Why They Sucked (in Grounded only)
- They are stereotypically annoyingly strict.
- They grounded Ben on the basis that he risks his life to save the entire universe. We get that they're trying to protect him, but the ENTIRE UNIVERSE is at stake.
- One of Carl's reasons for not approving of Ben's heroics is because his grandfather, Max, always kept the Plumbers secret from him and his brother, Frank. Given the dangers of being a Plumber, it sorta makes sense for Max to keep it a secret from him, and as a result, Carl comes off as someone who can't let go of what happened in the past.
- They also had Gwen grounded too, indicating to the viewer the lengths they will go to in order to keep Ben safe, which (again), while understandable, puts the ENTIRE UNIVERSE at risk.
- The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Bad Qualities has a total hint that Carl and Sandra is seems more like annoying jerks than parents who unfairly grounds Ben for a stupid reason, which makes Stephen and Linda Stotch from South Park looked like a saints in comparison. The only difference is both Carl and Sandra grounded other people, such as Gwen (their niece) for trying to protect from the ENTIRE UNIVERSE!
- Even while knowing this, they even threatened Ben with corporal punishment, which makes them come across as people who don't care that the universe is at stake.
- It gets to the point where they try to stop him from saving Kevin, and even trying to essentially lock him up in his room.
- Despite the above qualities, it still shows that they care immensely for Ben's safety.
- The part where Ben openly reminds them of the ideals they taught him, all while defying their orders as Humungousaur, is kinda satisfying to watch.
- They eventually see the error of their ways, especially after Ben disobeys them, and even use Max’s plumber gear to join their son and Kevin in defeating their enemies.
- The part where they made up with their son, realizing Max was protecting them, telling Ben that they were proud of him, and even lifting their punishments redeems their characters, and this hasn't been removed since.
- Later appearances would show how good parents and characters they are, which is a relief, these include Destroy All Aliens and Ultimate Alien. In Omniverse, Sandra would appear in some episodes that further show she’s a good mother and became a better character.