Bella Swan (Twilight)
Isabella "Bella" Marie Cullen (née Swan), was born to Charlie Swan and Renée Dwyer on September 13, 1987, and is the main protagonist of the Twilight Saga. In Twilight, she is a 17-year-old girl who transfers schools from Phoenix, Arizona to Forks, Washington to live with her father Charlie, where she meets and falls in love with a vampire, Edward Cullen. In Breaking Dawn, she marries Edward on August 13, 2006 and becomes a member of the Olympic coven. She is transformed into a vampire by Edward after nearly dying giving birth to their daughter, Renesmee Cullen, a human/vampire hybrid. Bella is the daughter-in-law of Edward, Sr. and Elizabeth Masen, as well as the adoptive daughter-in-law of Carlisle and Esme Cullen. She is the adoptive sister-in-law of Alice and Emmett Cullen, and of Jasper and Rosalie Hale.
As a human, Bella possessed a natural immunity to the mental powers of vampires. After her transformation into a vampire, she develops it into the ability to project a mental shield that protects others from the psychic powers of other vampires. Her Life and Death counterpart is Beau Swan.
Why She Sucks
- Her horrible personality and character traits completely strain her purpose as a character for the Twilight series. Which is supposed to represent the everyday teenage girl.
- She is so selfish, male depending, pretentious, uncaring, manipulative, self-centered, idiotic, and incredibly whiny. She is also super-naive and is super-dependent on Edward without logic or reasoning.
- Speaking of male depending, she gives the bad message that "you only need a man to have happiness", which is absolutely not true.
- Her chemistry with Edward is incredibly bland; Edward is an abusive partner, while Bella only fell in love with Edward all because of his looks and not for what he is.
- Also, Bella still loves him despite how Edward poorly treats her throughout their relationship.
- She has little to no character development.
- Her life revolves entirely around her love interest Edward, hence making her a bland, flat character for the most part, since she doesn't have any other personality or interests outside of obsessing over Edward. This is the most notable in "New Moon" when she practically gave up on everything after she and Edward broke up.
- She acts like her life has problems, but she is shown to have a nice life.
- She never shows any concern for anyone besides herself. Not even her family (especially her father Charlie) and friends (especially Jacob).
- In "New Moon", she, because she's heartbroken over her break-up with Edward, deliberately puts herself in harm's way such as throwing herself off a motorcycle and throwing herself into the sea to drown in order to get close to Edward because she could hear him that way, causing a concerned Jacob to come to the rescue each time.
- What makes it even worse is that all of Bella's aforementioned acts of self-harm in "New Moon" just to reconnect with Edward were all treated as typical teenage girl problems, as opposed to signs of mental illness/suicidal tendencies as in real life.
- Kristen Stewart did a terrible job portraying her and she even admitted she regretted playing as her.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- Despite her poor portrayal, it can be argued that she's pretty attractive.
Bella Swan has received a generally negative reception from critics and viewers.