Batman (DCEU; pre-Snyder Cut)
Batman, also known as Bruce Wayne, is a character in the DC Extended Universe, having debuted in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. He is portrayed by Ben Affleck.
This article will only focused his characterization from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Joss Whedon's theatrical cut of Justice League, who has been flanderized to death in the DC Extended Universe.
This article will only focused Batman from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Joss Whedon's theatrical cut of Justice League.
- MBatman is portrayed as an angry, paranoid cynic who spends over half of an entire movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice planning to kill Superman. You know, Batman, the superhero whose most well known trait is that he never kills anyone.
- In fairness, Batman has indeed killed people in multiple incarnations before, but whenever he does he's given a reasonable explanation why. However, like the Micheal Bay version of Optimus Prime, this version of Batman doesn't have a good reason to kill, he just kills for the sake of being edgier than his other version in The Dark Knight.
- Batman never gives a proper reason to want to kill Superman other than paranoia.
- Batman's irrational hatred towards Superman is immediately forgotten after the infamous "Save Martha" scene, no less than 10 minutes after it happens he calls Superman "a friend" without any mention of him attempting to murder Superman in the previous scene.
- He is very out of character in the DC Extended Universe in general; especially in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and the theatrical cut of Justice League.
- In Justice League, when Batman calls Alfred to give him the "big guns" to fight a resurrected Superman, he doesn't even mentioned after that.
- By extension, he also makes many one-liners that don't fit the character that was established in Justice league. Noticeable examples include:
- "I'm rich!" when Flash asks what are Batman's powers.
- "I'm not the one who brought a pitchfork" to Aquaman.
- "Maybe temporary" when asked about why he's making a team.
- "God, Something's definitely bleeding" when his leg is hurt.
- His infamous and cringe-worthy "Why would you say that name?" line in the movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice when he realized Superman's adopted mother has a "Martha" name just like her mother.
- this scene when Batman use guns to kill people.
- Ben Affleck portrays him decently and his performance is often considered of the film's few saving graces.
- The scene where he single-handedly takes down Lex Luthor's armed men is admittingly pretty awesome. Plus, this is one thing that's actually faithful to Batman's character, while as a young child running away and fall into a hole full of bats swarming into him from his parents' funerals is sad.
- His costume design looks good and much similar to the original comic book look and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
- He made a memorable speech in the end of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- He is thankfully redeemed in Zack Snyder's cut of Justice League, in which he cares about Superman's death. However, while he does not make any cringeworthy one-liners like he did in the theatrical version, he still says "I'm rich!" when the Flash ask him about what are his superpowers (Though it can be interpreted as him just being sarcastic).