Ash Ketchum (Pokémon the Series: Black & White)
Ash Ketchum is the main protagonist of the Pokémon anime, and has traveled to every region so far, his loyal Pokémon by his side is Pikachu. While Ash Ketchum himself is a great and likable character, his character wasn’t so likable once he was flanderized for the Black & White seasons. He is voiced by Rica Matsumoto in the Japanese dub and Sarah Natochenny in the English dub.
NOTE: This article only applies to the character as depicted in Pokemon: Black & White anime.
- He is a very bad trainer unlike in the previous and modern generations before and after Black & White.
- His character is barely well written and instead, he comes off as pretty stupid and immature.
- He made the most stupid mistakes in Black & White, the most notorious example being the moment where he couldn't beat a newbie's inexperienced Snivy with a Pikachu, and it doesn't help that this is the series that came after the last series where Pikachu managed to tie with Latios.
- Even if Zekrom had shut down Pikachu's electric attacks prior to Snivy's battle, he still had Iron Tail and other attacks that Ash should've used.
- He also brought only one Pokemon to a gym battle confident that he was going to win, unaware that he really should have 6 Pokemon on him at all times if he owns at least six Pokemon. He even left the battle after Palpitoad fainted to get more Pokemon when he should have been disqualified.
- He can also be rude towards his traveling companions at times.
- The problem with his team is that he arguably caught way too many Pokemon, and not many of them evolved fully, not even any of his starters. And some of them are very infamous for losing many battles, such as Unfezant and Palpitoad, the former of which lost to a Riolu.
- He just acted like he just started his Pokemon journey in Kanto, completely ignoring all his character growth from his previous Pokemon journeys.
- His English voice is much more lackluster than usual.
- Ash Ketchum himself is still a likable character, it’s just that his Black & White counterpart isn’t as well written unlike his other counterparts, including Sun & Moon's counterpart, which his personality in Sun and Moon was written mostly better.
- He still cares deeply about his Pokémon.
- His character started to improve much better starting in Pokémon the Series: XY, Pokemon the Series: Sun and Moon, and Pokemon Journeys.
- Some of the Pokemon he owned in Black & White were actually great, such as Leavanny, Scraggy, Snivy, arguably Oshawott, Boldore (being his first rock type), and of course Krookodile.
- He did later on start to improve in later episodes of Black and White.
- He still has his funny moments, such as this scene when he says “Nothing ticks off more than stealing my food!”
- His outfit is nice to look at.