Amy Rose (Sonic X)
Amy Rose (Japanese: エミー・ローズ Emī Rōzu) is one of the main characters of the anime series Sonic X and its comic series published by Archie Comics. While friendly and caring sometimes, if she feels threatened, she can instantly turn into a heavyweight hothead. She is shown to be really stubborn and bossy throughout the series much to the annoyance of a few characters. She is Sonic's self-proclaimed girlfriend and her long-term goal is to get Sonic to ask her out on a date.
NOTE: This will only focus on how she was badly butchered in Sonic X (especially in the English dub). Not her video game counterpart, since she is likable in general.
- She is massively flanderized as she got a huge bratty, sulky, and immature personality to make Sakura Haruno look like a saint in comparison that has often upstaged her kind side.
- Despite being 12, and Sonic being 15, she still has a crush on him. And worse of all, while they do have sweet moments, she is VERY clingy and possessive toward him to the point where she was willing to crush a rock in order for the two of them to be together forever.
- Her love for Sonic is heavily exaggerated up to psychotic levels that she'll lose her sanity if Sonic doesn't want to be with her, and she's always clingy to him.
- Despite being a "nice girl", she acts like a bitchy mean girl.
- Not only is she bratty, but she has a few times even been abusive. She has also even threatened her own friends a few times. Like in one episode where she threatened to hurt Chris if Sonic wouldn't go out with her on a date.
- She's had many moments of whining and complaining about things that just come off as grating.
- Outside of her plans of winning Sonic's heart always fizzling, she tends to come off as a Karma Houdini as she's never called out for her brattiness.
- She's also a hypocrite. She has called out Knuckles a few times for being so short-tempered, but yet she's more short-tempered than he is.
- In the third season, her bratty moments became more frequent as it was used as some of the season's comedy.
- In Cosmo's debut episode, she assumed Cosmo liked Sonic in a romantic way, even though there was no evidence of it.
- She kicked the little girl who thought she was a teddy bear in the subway train. Granted, she only did that because the girl wouldn't stop talking while pulling her ear, but she even cried! A little excessive, don't you think?
- She makes poor judgements such as mistaking Shadow for Sonic. Sounds familiar?
- To be fair, she is more tolerable in the Japanese version. You will notice a massive difference between 4Kids and the original dialogue with the way her personality is conveyed. For example, in one episode of season 3 (4kids dub), Amy makes a declaration that she and Sonic will get married. However, she was only swooning over a date in the original version rather than marriage. While her character was already somewhat flanderized in the Japanese dub, 4Kids insisted on making her more condescending and arrogant than she originally was in the Japanese version.
- This means that if 4Kids had stayed completely faithful to the original script and did not cut out scenes with her, then Amy would have at least been a decent character and not as obnoxious or disliked so much by the fanbase.
- Despite being aggressive and violent (in a bad way), she serves great use in combat and has managed to get out of being a damsel.
- Amy cares very deeply for her friends. She still gets some episodes where she is kind and compassionate.
- Her Sonic obsession and short-tempered moments can come off as funny or comic-relief on some occasions.
- Her US voice actress, Lisa Ortiz, puts in an excellent performance, and was a great casting choice.
- Her design is still admittedly cute and pretty to look at.
- She was way better in Season 2, particularly during the Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 arcs.
- In spite of her obsession with Sonic, she managed to have moments with him that are sincerely sweet and touching. With the best example being almost the entirety of "The Last Resort." The 9th episode of Sonic X.
- Both Amy and Tails appeared in the second-largest number of episodes of Sonic X (72 episodes), but in a different order.
- In Sonic's Big Break Amy's legs are miscolored peach when she turns her head to look at a G.U.N. robot.