Adam Malkovich (Metroid: Other M)
Adam Malkovich is a supporting character in Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Other M, and later Metroid Dread. He is the commander of the Galactic Federation, and once served in the Federation Police. Samus Aran described him as gruff, harsh, and relentless in criticism. He has been hated by critics and gamers alike due to his strict commands to Samus in Metroid: Other M.
NOTE: This will only focus on Adam Malkovich's portrayal in Metroid: Other M. His A.I. counterpart in both Metroid Fusion and Metroid Dread are fine.
- Throughout the game, he restricts Samus from using her weapons due to them "being too dangerous". While it makes sense for some items like the Missiles and Super Bombs considering that these can end up killing an ally by accident, it makes no sense for items like the Varia Suit and Grapple Beam, both of which pose no risk on innocent life.
- On top of that, when you're traveling through the Lava Section of the game, he takes an unnecessarily long time to authorize the Varia Suit.
- He treats Samus like an outsider after they reunite.
- He also could be seen as sexist, as he says a lady like Samus would get in the way. to
- He has a huge disregard for Samus's safety, as his orders nearly get her killed!
- He scolded Samus for using missiles, even though she was trying to protect herself!
- Gameplaywise, every time you get a Game Over, you have to hear Adam yell "Samus! What's going on? Respond! Respo–!", which can get rather tiresome and repetitive quickly.
- He is WAY more tolerable in Metroid Fusion and Metroid Dread.
- His sacrifice is quite emotional.
- Samus at one point finally got fed up with his orders in Metroid: Other M.
- Despite his rude attitude towards Samus, they are good friends.
- He probably wants to protect Samus due to his younger brother Ian Malkovich being killed in action, which is understandable.