Abby Anderson (The Last of Us Part II)
WARNING! This article is NSFL!
This article may contain content that is disturbing, including themes of rape, murder, abuse, drugging, crime, disaster, tragedy, etc.
Abby Anderson is the playable main antagonist/false protagonist of The Last of Us Part II, who is infamous for killing Joel, a beloved character from the first game. Unfortunately, her infamy on killing him and her being a Karma Houdini for it led to players hating her.
Why She Sucks
- Her design looks like her head was transplanted onto a man's body.
- Instead of looking like an average female bodybuilder, her body looked closer to John Cena or Dwayne Johnson, which made her character design look disproportionate and cartoon-ish.
- Her sex scene is very cringeworthy.
- She doesn't even have a good reason to want to kill Joel, given he was justified in killing her father to save Ellie. The plot point where she killed him is also extremely contrived and tacked-on.
- In fact, her father was actually having second thoughts about operating on (and therefore killing) Ellie in order to make a cordyceps cure, until Abby talked him into it. This means that Abby herself is the person truly responsible for her father's death, rather than Joel.
- She was supposed to be the sane protagonist who's in the right, but her actions doesn't justify anything to make her a sympathetic and tragic character:
- The game tries very hard to make you feel sorry for her after she kills Joel, which only ends up making players hate her even more.
- As said earlier, she kills Joel and injured Tommy right after she was saved by them from the infected.
- Having sex with Owen, who's already a married man.
- Didn't take a moment to understand the perspectives of both Joel's and Ellie's while killing the defenseless man.
- Even with Abby being weakened after being held hostage by a pack of cannibals for months, it still comes off as cheap and emotionally manipulative.
- She has Mel sent out on missions while pregnant and despite being their best doctor.
- You are forced to play as her for half the game, which makes her even less likable as players wished to continue Joel and Ellie's story.
- She tried to slit Dina's throat only to spite Ellie, even after being told she's pregnant.
- Abby would have killed Dina, an unborn J.J., and Ellie if Lev hadn't interrupted the scene.
- She actually bit off Ellie's fingers leaving Ellie unable to play guitar ever again.
- Abby hasn't suffered any consequences from killing Joel and Jesse, permanently injuring Tommy, and threatening Ellie and Dina, since she gets off scot-free and gets forgiven for no reason making her a Karma Houdini.
- Despite being seen as a tragic character, Abby has good shelter, electricity, delicious food, a gym, and is living a much better life than most of the human race in a zombie apocalypse.
- Laura Bailey did a great job voicing the character. Heck, Bailey is also the one who had voiced Kotone/Rise from the Persona series, and Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket.
- As mentioned before, her design looked much better in the trailers.
- The character is so bad that even Laura Bailey (her voice actress) hated her early on.