Percy the Small Engine is the deuteragonist of the Thomas and Friends series and in the British Railway Series books by Wilbert Awdry and his son, Christopher, published from 1945. He is Thomas the Tank Engine's best friend and the number six engine on the Island of Sodor. He is liked by the cast and is a fan favorite to all of the fans.
Sadly, he was badly flanderized in seasons 15, 16, and All Engines Go! becoming an idiot.
Why He Caused Confusion and Delay
NOTE: This page will only talk about how he was badly butchered through seasons 15, 16 and All Engines Go!
Seasons 15 & 16
- He became an idiot who obsesses over Thomas's attention.
- In "Day of the Diesels", he cried about Thomas spending time with Belle and Flynn which caused him to go to the types of diesel for attention, an example of why he obsesses over Thomas's attention. In fact, he cries over the smallest things that are not worth crying over.
- There were even moments where he acted like an idiot before he was flanderized, with "Up, Up, and Away" being a prime example.
- He causes just as much confusion and delay and screws everything up equally as Thomas does.
- He is pretty much portrayed as a generic "idiot" cliche.
- In "Percy and the Monster of Brendam" he goes on the stupidest journey to find a made-up monster Salty told him about, which proves that he is also very gullible.
- In "Percy's New Friends", he tried to befriend animals, but he kept being loud which caused them to get scared and run away, why would Percy need animals for friends? He's got plenty of friends already!
- His first two voice actors, Martin Sherman in the US dub and Keith Wickham in the UK dub (S13-16) were quite annoying. Keith Wickham's voice barely fits Percy as well.
All Engines Go!
- For starters, his new design is also horrible to the point where it actually makes Lion-O's design from ThunderCats Roar and any other character thereof look decent by comparison.
- His recognizable whistle sound got changed to a generic toy train whistle.
- He also has very odd-looking facial expressions that look extremely uncanny, unappealing, and cringe-worthy.
- His new voice is extremely annoying and high-pitched, due to the annoying voice performances from Henri Charles in the UK dub and Charlie Zeltzer in the US dub. While Charlie does try to sound lively as Percy (since it could be because he presumably is a fan of Thomas and Friends), the same cannot apply to Henry since it sounds like he is bored or just didn't want to voice Percy at all.
- He has received even worse flanderization than the one he suffered from in the late Sharon Miller era as he is written as a complete coward to the point that would feel like Lofty the Crane or Courage the Cowardly Dog, but without the charm and likability of these two.
- He is now turned into a cowardly engine who wants to be told by Thomas.
- He is also indeed really bland as his personality could easily be placed in other characters showing that his personality is not really original.
Seasons 15 & 16
- He still cares about his friends.
- He was a much better character in seasons 1-14 and has massively redeemed himself throughout seasons 17-24, but sadly, got flanderized again in All Engines Go.
- After season 18, his voice actors were replaced by Christopher Ragland in the US dub and Nigel Pilkington in the UK dub. These two actors are pretty good and are a big improvement over the previous two actors.
- He was tolerable in some episodes.
- Just like Jerry in the Gene Deitch era and SpongeBob in seasons 6b & 7, his flanderization was short-lived as he was flanderized for only two seasons, unlike the others who had flanderizations in more seasons than his.
All Engines Go!
- While his new design isn't as good as his original one, it still keeps many features that made the original Percy recognizable (e.g. the green paint, red stripes and the number "6"). Additionally, he still has his original 0-4-0 configuration (whereas engines like Gordon and Nia had their configurations changed).
- Despite being heavily flanderized on this show, at least he still has most of his original cheeky, and naive personality from the original series.
- He was a much better character outside of this reboot and the late Sharon Miller era of the original show.
- Pages using Tabber parser tag
- Cartoon characters
- Dumb characters
- Immature characters
- Gullible characters
- CGI characters
- Thomas & Friends characters
- Bad characters from good media
- Bad characters who have improved
- Book characters
- British characters
- Aware of how bad they are
- Characters with bad voice acting
- Lucky characters
- Accident-prone characters
- Bad versions of good characters