"Hi, I'm Omochao! I'm here to help you!"— Omochao, Sonic Adventure 2
Omochao (オモチャオ Omochao) is a character in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a robotic Chao with virtually unlimited knowledge about the world. He's known for being hated for players with his information.
- His information can be very annoying for players, especially if they have already figured out how to play. As a matter of fact, he can be the most useless and annoying character, to the point where it makes Tokkori and Navi the Fairy less of a problem in comparison.
- His old English voice from Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes is very grating. Especially when he gets mad in the former said game. In other words, he wasted the talent of Lani Minella.
- When you play Team Rose's story for the first time in Sonic Heroes, you're not able to skip it because you're forced to listen to Omochao's lecture.
- He and the other Chao replaced Cream in Team Sonic Racing which angers multiple Cream fans to the point where they wish that she was in the game as DLC.
- He's also kinda a hypocrite. For example, he says "Keep your health meter above zero. Collecting rings will slowly recover health".
- Rebecca Honig's performance as Omochao in Sonic and the Secret Rings is atrocious and cringe-worthy. Instead of sounding like a little boy, Rebecca's performance made Omochao sound more like a grandma.
- He can be pretty helpful for beginners if they don't know how to play Sonic Adventure 2.
- He's more tolerable in Sonic Riders since Liza Jacqueline made him sound less annoying and more laid-back, levelheaded, calm and tolerable. In fact, later on in the newer Sonic games, he became less annoying and more likable.
- Thankfully, you have the option to turn Omochao off in Sonic Generations if you find him annoying.
- Laura Bailey and Erica Lindbeck did pretty good at voicing Omochao.
- In Sonic Adventure 2, you have the option to shut him up by throwing him against a wall or even off a cliff, and shooting him while playing as Tails or Eggman.
- To be fair, at least Omochao doesn't seem like a jerk to Sonic and his friends, and he's often willing to help Sonic out when he needs to.
- There is a Sonic Rom Hack known as Sonic the Hedgehog: Omochao Edition which it is a game that pokes fun on Omochao's annoyance with Omochao in said game announcing anything the player does.
- Omochao's name is a portmanteau of the Japanese word "omocha"(Japanese for "toy") and "Chao".
- Sonic Adventure 2 has an unused voice clip of Omochao saying "Did you know the doctor's mustache is fake?". Many fans thought this line refered to Dr. Eggman, when in reality, it referred to the Chao Kindergarten principal.
- Still about SA2, his voice actress in that game also portrays Rouge.